Author Topic: Pathway to coding  (Read 1465 times)

Castleberg

Pathway to coding
« on: December 10, 2021, 01:25:10 PM »
I'm curious what Pfiel, and other experiances coders have to say about this...

I have only a basic programming background. Growing up tinkering with QBasic, and some C++ books in highschool, and recently dabbling in JavaScript. I am not a programer, and suspect I never will be. However, I am interested in it, and do think it is important for me to be capable in this area. That said, I have recently started dabbling again, and given my fondness of VA, I was wondering if I could get me some advice Regarding establishing a good working knowledge.../ Becoming a proficient programmer.

1)continue my prior journey in javaScript, (but unlikely to learn css, react, etc etc)
2)start learning python (which seems a good starting point, and I suspect will help me with some of my other endeavors)
3)learn C#, which probably won't help me much in my endeavors, but may give me practical projects and goals to push me along given my appreciation for voice attack.

That is, assuming I'm not pursuing a "career path" in programming here, but see much long-term potential in python and javaScript, would you recommend I:

Stick to javaScript, and learn the other stuff that goes with it.
Switch to learning python as a simpler starting step, then branch off from there
Or take up C#, for the explicit purpose of being fluent with VA online functions and plugins.

I know that seems like an impossible broad question, but just curious to hear various takes from experienced coders.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Pathway to coding
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 12:15:23 PM »
I don't claim to be an experienced programmer, by any means, and given that I work mainly with C# I have an obvious bias towards it, so take this for what it's worth:

Logically, if you anticipate wanting to use your own inline functions and/or plugins with VoiceAttack, you'll want to learn at least the basics of C#

Once you get to a point where you understand the underlying concepts, it becomes feasible to adapt to different languages, so while the language you started off with will most likely still affect your way of approaching things, it becomes less important over time.
If anything, whatever you pick, sticking with it is essential. Having practical problems to solve can certainly help with that.

This question would probably be more suited to venues that actually pertain to general-purpose programming.