Author Topic: VA losing "connection" to IVONA TTS voices (?)  (Read 2602 times)

Technomancer

• I have a bad feeling about this...
VA losing "connection" to IVONA TTS voices (?)
« on: May 06, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
A little background:

Stats, in case you need to know: Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs of RAM, I9 9900k (overclocked to 4.9Ghz), 256 gig SSD.

About a month ago I decided to experiment with assigning different IVONA TTS voices to stations and pirates in ED, for a little variety.  I have 10 voices installed, 5 male and 5 female.

So every station I approach or every pirate that attacks me gets assigned a random voice.  I then make them persistent in different ways: 

1. The station voices are assigned as I enter normal space near a station and continue to use the same voice until I leave normal space. Upon arriving at a different station, the process is repeated.

2. The pirate voice persists (based on his name) until the next VA session.  This is kinda cool, since I often stack missions, which come with different pirates.  So the same pirate could come after me over and over for hours sometimes (until I complete the mission) and it'll use the same voice based on his name.

HOWEVER...I keep running into a small problem:  If the session goes too long (usually over 2 hours) VA seems to "lose connection" to the IVONA voices and falls back to one of the Windows default (even though I have an IVONA voice assigned as the default).  EDDI which I've also assigned an IVONA voice keeps running fine with the voice.  Windows TTS also keeps using the IVONA voice.  But when I test an IVONA voice in VA, it says the voice may have "been removed","doesn't exist" or my variable may be "spelled wrong" (something to this effect).

I realize I'm probably not using this as intended and maybe VA is getting "bogged down", but I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this situation.

Thanx.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA losing "connection" to IVONA TTS voices (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »
How are you testing these voices while you're encountering this issue? Do you select them from the "Voice" dropdown in the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action? Are all the voices still listed there?

Do you have the "Single TTS Instance" option on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window enabled?

If you have the actual error message, that could also be useful, perhaps even as a screenshot

Technomancer

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
How are you testing these voices while you're encountering this issue? Do you select them from the "Voice" dropdown in the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action? Are all the voices still listed there?

Do you have the "Single TTS Instance" option on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window enabled?

If you have the actual error message, that could also be useful, perhaps even as a screenshot

1. Yes, I'm testing by selecting the "Voice" dropdown in the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action (usually, in the command that has just lost the voice; but I've tested other commands that use only one voice and they also cannot use the voices).
2.  Yes, they are still all there, oddly enough. However, when I select any of them, I get the message I previously mentioned.  I'll get a screen cap of the exact message next time it occurs.
3. I do not have Single TTS Instance selected.  I'll try that tonight.

Thanx for the quick response...as always. :)

Technomancer

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 12:25:14 AM »
I did not set "Single TTS Instance" because I wanted to reproduce the error.  I'll set that now.  Attached is a screen cap of the error and another cap showing all the voices still appearing in the dropdown; but when I select any of themm and hit the "Preview" button, I get the same error.

Technomancer

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:25:52 AM »
Well, while looking up an unrelated topic in the EDDI Github document, I stumbled across documentation stating that EDDI can also accept passed voice variables to change voices.  As an added bonus, it has a default "radio" filter that is nearly perfect for what I was looking to do.

The set up was almost identical to VA's, so the command alteration took less than a minute.

I played from 5:PM to midnight and no hiccups occurred.  So I'm inclined to think (unfortunately) that maybe VA can't handle the constant changes.  Not that it's a flaw in VA, just that my craziness maybe is too much. :P

However, if Gary wants to try and track down the issue, I'd be more than happy to test any suggestions he might have.  I think at this point, it'd be more trouble than it's worth, for such an obscure use of the feature...unless this multiple-voice use catches on.

Thanx

bronney

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 02:38:26 AM »
I am pretty sure something's wrong with VA.  I too lost IVONA today.  Everything came out as MS defaults.  Even when I edit commands to "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" and click preview.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 01:20:19 PM »
Did restarting VoiceAttack and/or rebooting your machine resolve this?

Which vendor did you purchase the Ivona voices from?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:08:07 PM by Pfeil »

bronney

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
Well, while looking up an unrelated topic in the EDDI Github document, I stumbled across documentation stating that EDDI can also accept passed voice variables to change voices.  As an added bonus, it has a default "radio" filter that is nearly perfect for what I was looking to do.

Wow dude, the previous version indeed worked for Amy.  I stumbled upon this thread and followed the instructions to install 1 back 1.8.6.

Amy's back immediately.  Try it.

https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=2973.0

EDIT: after doing this, your joystick bind within VA will throw error.   To solve, you need the latest VAJS.dll.  I recommend backing this up before you overwrite with 1.8.6.  Tested.  No longer throw errors.  So I am running 1.8.6 VA with a 1.8.9 VAJS.dll
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:03:17 AM by bronney »