Author Topic: New Rel. v1.8.9 - can't assign new buttons in a profile  (Read 1841 times)

GlenAlden

New Rel. v1.8.9 - can't assign new buttons in a profile
« on: July 04, 2021, 04:03:06 AM »
just updated from v1.8.8. Alas, now my VIRPIL joysticks can't be assigned any more. The assignments which I did with v1.8.8 do still work, but new assignments (buttons / axes)  are not possible, as the buttons / (both sticks) are not recognized any more.

Most alas, I don't have the installation file from 1.8.8, as I've overwritten it with the 1.8.9 installation file and the installation file 1.8.8 is not available any more on the homepage here... https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=293.0

Gary

• Administrator
Re: New Rel. v1.8.9 - can't assign new buttons in a profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 05:14:12 AM »
Hi, Glen

Very strange - the code that I updated simply extended the amount of time that VA was taking to poll for new devices as well as not crash if an error occurred (also when polling for new devices).  I neglected to provide a rollback to v1.8.8 as this change was extremely minor.  On a side note, I am able to assign buttons from my stick without issue (both X52 HOTAS and XBox game pad).

Did you install from a .zip file by chance?  If so, this would be an important clue, as Windows may be blocking the VAJS.dll file.

Attached is the VAJS.dll from v1.8.8 - it's the part that changed (VAJS.dll v1.0.07).  Just make sure that VA is turned off, download VAJS.dll and put it in your installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack  for the standalone version and  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack   for Steam) - overwriting the original file.  Meanwhile, I'll work on making sure the v1.8.8 rollback is properly available.

Hope that helps!

Edit - updated announcement (https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=3898) and rollback topic (https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?action=post;msg=1359;topic=293.0) to include rollback to v1.8.8

GlenAlden

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 05:33:58 AM »
Hi Gary, thanks for your fast reply. I did as proposed and copied VAJS.DLL into the designated folder. But now, after starting VA, I get this message:

1:24:23.203 Es wurde versucht, eine Assembly von einer Netzwerkadresse zu laden, was in früheren Versionen von .NET Framework zum Ausführen der Assembly als Sandkastenassembly geführt hätte. In dieser Version von .NET Framework wird die CAS-Richtlinie standardmäßig... :-\  Although I'm german speeking, it means nothingh for me...
With the new VAJS.dll VA don't recognizes even the so far working buttons - so I installed the "old" one.

To answer your question: I installed directly from "VoiceAttackInstaller64". And just to mention. Windows does recognize all buttons/axes and VA recognizes ALL old / previous assigned buttons. But if you (as a try) assign a still working button again, it's now not recognized

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 05:42:42 AM »
Looks like Windows has blocked this file (it's a good thing - it's protecting your machine).

First, turn off VA.  Then, go into your installation folder and right-click on VAJS.dll.  Select 'Properties' and then go to the General tab.  Select the checkbox named “Unblock” and click OK/done.  Launch VA - that should allow VA to access the file.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 05:52:36 AM »
Again - the code difference between the two versions is minor (functionality was not changed - just better handling for errors).  Have you tried rebooting or un-assigning/reassigning your stick in VA?

GlenAlden

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 05:59:45 AM »
Well, with the VAJS.dll Rel 1.0.0.7 (the one you provided for download) VA works again fine  :D
I've just unblocked it, following yor advice, and it worked just right after the unblocking ....

Thanks very much for your fast support  8)

Have you tried rebooting - YES I DID

or un-assigning/reassigning your stick in VA? WAS NOT POSSIBLE, AS THE STICKS WERN'T ABLE TO SELECT