Author Topic: Speech trainee  (Read 1735 times)

jane

Speech trainee
« on: July 10, 2021, 11:18:15 AM »
hi.
Using Microsoft, I find trainee files in ....Microsoft-speech-files-trainingaudio
Where is the speech trainee (added word) of VA located? (I cant find them ins the above mentioned path.

Should I use Microsoft or system default regarding speech reccon, executed by VoiceAttack?

Thank You.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Speech trainee
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
The speech recognition training files are not intended for the user to interact with directly, but rather to be edited through the tools provided E.G. in the control panel.

Is there something specific you're looking to do with these files?

Instructions for training the speech recognition profile (it should be trained at least three times) can be found here

Adding words to the dictionary can also be done from the control panel applet, a shortcut to which is available in VoiceAttack: Click the wrench icon on VoiceAttack's main window, and on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window click the "Utilities >" button, then choose "Add/Remove Dictionary Words"

VoiceAttack uses the SAPI speech recognition engine provided by Microsoft (by default), which does not require you to manually start anything aside from VoiceAttack itself, assuming there is a speech recognition engine available and installed in your language of choice.

Running the Windows speech recognition application alongside VoiceAttack is not required, nor recommended, unless you specifically need features it provides (E.G. the mouse grid)

jane

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
Thank You.
I have no other use than VoiceAttack, to improve its speechrecognition. Just wondered if I needed to copy something.

Does other tools than the tool in VA itself (add/remove/edit) improve the recognition by VA?
(i.e. are the files in ..Microsoft-speech-files-trainingaudio, needed to improve VA's recognition?)

Regarding the add/remove: This is for solely 1 time to do, to improve VA's recognition?

I have noticed VA correctly detects word "COM" as first word in a sentence ,either very seldom or not at all, even if I add the word into VA by voice.

Does VA need a uk/us keyboard layout to work as intended?

Sorry for all theese basic questions but I need to understand this correctly.
regards

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
The files you are referencing are not specific to VoiceAttack, but would likely be used by VoiceAttack, as they would be used by any application using the SAPI speech recognition engine.
The tools used to train the SAPI speech recognition engine are not part of VoiceAttack itself. VoiceAttack provides shortcuts to the tools from Microsoft, as a convenience feature.

Adding a word to the dictionary is intended for words that either aren't in Microsoft's default dictionary, or that you pronounce differently.
It is not a substitute for training your actual speech recognition profile (which should be done at least three times, as mentioned, but can be repeated afterward).

Also note that the speech recognition engines are intended for a specific language and accent. E.G. if you don't speak English with a US accent, the US English speech recognition engine cannot perform optimally.
If a speech recognition engine is available in your native language, that may offer better results (if no SAPI engine is available in your native language, it may be available through Speech Platform 11. More information on that here).

There are a number of keyboard layouts available that will affect the keypresses sent by certain actions; make sure to select the keyboard layout you are using for the "Keyboard Display Layout" option on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, provided it is listed there.
This does not affect speech recognition.

jane

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 02:05:06 PM »
Thank You for clearing up. Regards