Author Topic: Weird TTS issue  (Read 1271 times)

jcdick1

Weird TTS issue
« on: February 15, 2021, 09:58:53 PM »
While playing E:D, its not unusual at all to have a body designated as "System Name A 3."  Strangely, though, whenever the TTS says it, the A 3 comes out as E H 3 and anything "A 6" is pronounced as "I 6." Every time.  Not A 2, A 4, A 5 or A 7, those pronounce correctly.  I've confirmed what the TTS is supposed to say by having the variable it is reading written out to a text file before the speaking.

I've added an attachment of a short video bit showing what I mean.

Is this just a weird function of Windows TTS?  Or is there something in VA?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Weird TTS issue
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 10:10:51 PM »
VoiceAttack passes the input to the text-to-speech system, it does not alter it.

Which TTS voice is that? Are you using the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action?

Have you checked whether this occurs with other TTS voices?

If you click the "Utilities >" button on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, choose "Speech Control Panel", click "Text to Speech" on the left-hand side of the control panel window, type "A 3" into the "Use the following text to preview the voice:" field and click "Preview Voice", does the issue also occur?

Also try "a 3", which is pronounced by a number of voices as something resembling "eh 3", though not "E H 3" as in your video

jcdick1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 11:45:12 PM »
It's the Ivona "Gwenyth" English (Welsh) voice, and apparently its the voice. If I just type an "A" in the preview, it pronounces it fine.  If I add a "2" it pronounces it fine.  If I use a "3" it changes the A to "E H".

I'll try to send something to Ivona, though I think its owned by Amazon now as part of Polly. so that might be tough to track down.

Thanks for the tips on the tools.

Technomancer

• I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
A little late to this issue, but i think it's her accent and the combination of a letter and the number 6 and how the "run together" in that language pack.

I've tested with other letters and the number 6 and get a *similar* (but not quite the same) issue.  Matter of fact, it's a little wonky with Geraint also, but not as pronounced.  I think it's the Welsh accent.  LOL!

It sounds fine with Amy and Brian voices.