Author Topic: Delay Between Actions of Command Sequence  (Read 2122 times)

TheCaptain53

Delay Between Actions of Command Sequence
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »
I've been using VoiceAttack for a number of years and I've only recently noticed this issue. I even double checked videos of mine and can see that when utilizing macros, they executed quickly and the flow of actions was also quick.

My primary use of VoiceAttack is to move pips around in Elite: Dangerous. Rather than use my voice (cause it takes ages), I have the commands bound to the hat switch of my joystick and another set of commands on my throttle. It presses and releases an arrow key for 0.005s, a pause for 0.009s, then 3 more times. This means that if I press a specific direction, I fill up the bar of whichever system I need to with pips. Mainly from my PvP days.

For years this worked just fine. I took a hiatus and then had a go some time last year during lockdown, but I didn't notice any performance issues at the time. However recently, I've noticed the pips are incredibly slow to move around. After some additional testing with a test command, this is what I've found:

When pressing my joy button, it executes a large number of J key presses (press release 0.005s). After about 10-15 actions, it uses an additional 10-15 J key presses, but between each key press there is a pause of 0s. When I execute the command, the first part runs okay (not fast, it still seems slow) and then in the latter half of command, the J key presses slow down. This has led me to believe there is an internal delay between the actions of a sequence. To confirm this, I created an additional set of J key presses, but this time I put 3x 0s pauses between each key press. Sure enough, the command starts off okay, then slows down, then slows down again.

There's no delay in the command itself executing, and I've found that the speed of the command being processed (that is, the time taken to get through the entire sequence) is very consistent.

Has anyone seen this issue before and if it can be resolved? Thanks.

EDIT: Before this testing, I updated to the latest version, 1.8.7 and found no difference in performance.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Delay Between Actions of Command Sequence
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »
That may be related to a Windows update/build, as discussed here.

TheCaptain53

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
I updated to Windows 10 20H2 19042.867 from 2004, but unfortunately made no difference. If it's preferred, I can continue posting my updates in the linked post.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 03:13:08 PM »
The issue may apply to any build after 1909, from what few reports are available (rolling back to 1909 works, however that version is end-of-life and no longer receives security updates at this point, so that is not recommended). It does not occur on all installations, however.

If you find something that makes a difference, by all means post about it in the linked topic.