Author Topic: Lock my VAP file  (Read 1410 times)

Peter Dulong

Lock my VAP file
« on: March 15, 2021, 06:32:08 PM »
I've been reading in the manual about locking your profile so that no one can edit it , but I'm not sure what I'm reading. can someone clarify it for me. I exported my profile as an editable Xml file, then i open an editor and found the <> and placed a number in the appropriate field.. saved the changes imported the profile back into Voice attack. .and nothing changed, what am I doing wrong.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Lock my VAP file
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 06:46:21 PM »
Which tag(s) did you actually use/modify? And was this for a given command, or the entire profile?

Also note that you need to be careful with tags that lock you out of editing a profile, as that includes you, if you don't keep an editable backup copy.

Peter Dulong

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 06:02:33 AM »
I want to do the entire profile. do i need to place theses at the start of the Profile. I just need an example of how this works.

Peter

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 06:24:08 AM »
Depending on what you're trying to do, you'd either change an existing tag, or add a new one.

For the profile-level items, the existing tags are listed at the bottom of the XML structure, right above the closing "</Profile>" tag, which is also where you can add a new tag.

For command-level items, you need to edit or add tags for that specific command.

If you want to lock every command within your profile from being edited, you can do a find and replace to change all occurrences of "<CL>0</CL>" to "<CL>1</CL>", as that cannot be done at the profile level.

Assuming you also want to prevent users from adding command to your profile, you'd then also want to change "<CR>0</CR>" to "<CR>1</CR>", at the profile level.

Lastly, to prevent the profile from being exported as an editable XML file, you'd set change "<BE>0</BE>" to "<BE>1</BE>" at the profile level, however note what the documentation mentions about this flag:
Quote from: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf
Note that if you distribute your profile initially as a compressed binary and this flag is set to 1, there is no provided way to change that profile back.
In other words, if you overwrite your existing profile with this version, you will never be able to export it as an editable file again, so if you have all three flags set, your profile cannot be edited at all, even by you.
The only way to "undo" this would be to delete the profile from the database, and import the XML-formatted version of your profile again with the flags set back to 0.