Author Topic: No response.  (Read 1413 times)

tryst

No response.
« on: March 01, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
I am playing Elite Dangerous with the HCS Jazz voice pack running on win7 Pro.

It seems OK to start with, a slight delay before the first command is recognised, but it then starts working fine.

After about an hour or so, it seems to stop listening to me. Commands that it never had a problem with such as "go to warp", that it heard regardless of how I said it, are either no longer recognised or completely ignored. Although it appears to have no problem with "Request Docking". I appears VA is starting to get very selective over what comands it hears.

I have tried some tricks such as setting compatibility to Windows XP and launching as Administrator, but these appear to have little or no effect. Completely shutting down and restarting VA seems to be the only solution I have found that works.

I have searched and seen post about creating a new profile, but it has taken over a year for me to train Windows to understand me so far and even now, it's only 90% accurate, I really don't want to go through all that again.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: No response.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »
Have you tried enabling the "Disable Adaptive Recognition (useful for noisy environments)" and/or "Disable Acoustic Echo Cancellation (could help with recognition)" options on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window?

Are you using a (USB) headset?

Does the "Reset Speech Recognition" option in the context menu for the main window's title bar have the same effect as restarting the application?

tryst

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:27 PM »
Yes, it's a USB headset. Sades Locust Plus.

I have Adaptive Recognition enabled by default, it caused too many issues before with failing to recognise what I was saying and enabling that solved it. However, it sometimes picks up my chair squeaking as I move and interprets that as a random command for some wierd reason. The same when I cough or clear my throat, but Windows just ignores that if I try using voice recognition with a word processor or such.

Acoustic Echo Cancellation I have tried and it doesn't seem to do anything.
The Reset Speech Recognition option doesn't seem to solve it either, I have to completely close VA and restart it, that seems to be the only way to solve it at the moment.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 02:25:05 AM »
If you're using the Windows Speech Recognition application, the speech recognition engine itself would be identical to the one used by VoiceAttack, however it could be the configuration is slightly different.

You could try decreasing the "Command Weight" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, to see if that decreases the tendency for interpreting noises as speech, though that will likely affect the recognition of commands in general.

If your microphone is picking up environmental noise, that can affect the speech recognition engine over time in a given session, in my experience.

Unfortunately, not every microphone is well-suited to speech recognition. A quiet environment is also recommended.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:13:28 AM »
@tryst - You'll want to give this thread a go:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0   

It solves a lot of issues with the speech engine getting gummed up over time.  You mentioned you didn't want to have to redo all of what you've trained over a long period - this does not require you to delete what you've done (unless of course the new speech profile works out- in that case you'll want to ditch the old stuff for sure).