Author Topic: Hi, new user here. Quest 2 / Steam / Oculus gaming  (Read 1821 times)

Tazling

Hi, new user here. Quest 2 / Steam / Oculus gaming
« on: January 30, 2021, 05:57:55 PM »
Just wanted to say hello as I have now joined the ranks of those with a license key for the best-kept secret in the gaming world, i.e. totally affordable, well-packaged voice control for any and all games.

I was going to roll my own VoRec solution using Arduino hardware, like Audeme or EasyVR.  But then someone clued me in to VA and of course when I saw the price, it was like "what was I thinking?"  Huge props to the dev for a well thought out UI, a really good manual, and a rock-solid useful tool at a very reasonable price.

My immediate application is a driving game (Euro Truck Simulator) which for several years now I've been using as a (link) road cycling sim.  My custom controller (that turns the bike plus trainer stand into a game controller) now has a touch screen (not shown in the video which was the prototype).  Obviously a touch screen is even worse than buttons when you've got a headset on your face!

So I'm now very happily training VA to do all the game commands that my custom touchscreen interface provided.  Looks like I can even do console commands, which is awesome as I do use some console tricks now and then.  I spent about 40 minutes on a ride through northern France yesterday in beautiful immersive 3D, doing everything with voice commands, and it was fantastic -- everything I had hoped it would be.  Reliable (never had a refused command) and dead simple to configure (the UI is great).

If anyone else is wondering, the Q2 mic works fine for training windows voice recognition and for voice-controlled gaming.  It adequately rejects the headset built-in audio and the ambient noise from the trainer stand.

I think it's a particular strong point of VA that a rank n00b can get it working within a few minutes, unlike many overlays and hacks for gaming (I gave up on Vorpx because life is too short).  Great work, deserves some kind of internet award.