Author Topic: How do I switch off notications sounds for one profile?  (Read 1439 times)

Crash

How do I switch off notications sounds for one profile?
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
Hello as above. I use VA for Elite and Il-2 and use notification sounds but I dont want them with DCS. Is this possible or should I have a separate install for DCS, with its own shortcut.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How do I switch off notications sounds for one profile?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »
There is currently no method for changing that option other than the VoiceAttack options window, no.

Assuming you still want other sounds and TTS actions to work, you can't just mute the entire application either.

If you have a blank (but valid) .wav file, you could use a batch file to copy it into the installation directory as "sys_on.wav" and "sys_off.wav", which will override the existing sounds, and being blank would produce no audible sound.

Otherwise a second installation may indeed be the simplest option

Crash

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:07:22 AM »
Thank you, I thought that might be the answer. I just wasnt sure if VA could be run from 2 locations. I will install the other version in my games drive.

Crash

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:10:23 AM »
I copied the VA folder to my games drive and went through the registration. I deleted my Viacom profile from the original install but it is also missing from my games install and I cant find where the profiles are kept. Is it possible to have 2 entirely separate installs?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »
What is happening is that your two installations are associated with the same default data file.  This file is usually located in C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\VoiceAttack

What you will need to do is have one of your installations point to another data folder.  To do this, you'll need to run the VoiceAttack.exe for that installation with the -datadir command line parameter.  More information about the -datadir parameter can be found in the VoiceAttack help documentation (press F1 while VoiceAttack is in focus to bring up the help doc).

Hope that helps!

Crash

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:55:15 AM »
Thanks for your help.

Crash

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 09:37:46 AM »
I have looked at the documentation but I dont understand how to insert the command line parameter. After finding out that my viacom profile was gone, I moved a .dat backup into the app data as the doc said hoping that it would revert back to the old profile list of Elite, Il-2 and Viacompro however all that it shows is "my profile" Have I lost all my old profiles?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
You need to copy the file out of the backup folder into the data directory and rename that file to VoiceAttack.dat.  If the backup has data in it, it will be displayed.  You'll want to make sure you get the most recent version that was not affected by your delete.

In regards to running with command line parameters, you'll want to look up how to run Windows applications from the command line or from a shortcut with parameters.

Crash

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
I have sorted the profiles :) Thanks for that but the -datadir is a mystery to me. I looked on the web added -datadir to the shortcut but I found no option to set the target for VA to look at. So how do I tell VA to look at appdata/roaming/VA DCS?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
Create a shortcut on your desktop to the VoiceAttack.exe that you want to target.

Right-click on the shortcut, select, 'Properties'.

In there, you'll see something like, Target:  "C:\YOUR VA DIRECTORY\VoiceAttack.exe" 

Change what is in the target window to   "C:\YOUR VA DIRECTORY\VoiceAttack.exe" -datadir "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\VoiceAttack"

TAKE NOTE OF THE QUOTES ;)

You can copy a VoiceAttack.dat in there or you can start without one (VA will create a new VoiceAttack.dat in that folder if no .dat file exists if you save your profile).

Crash

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 01:12:52 PM »
Great, thanks very much.

Crash

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 06:31:41 AM »
I am still having a problem. I reinstalled VA in G:\Flight Sims\Utils\VoiceAttack and I want this exe to use the default AppData folder. The other install is in the default C: drive and I want this to use C:\Users\Dave\Appdata\VA DCS folder See icon properties in the attachments. I have checked spelling and quotation marks and cant find what I have done wrong, screen grabs 2&3 are of the same properties
Thanks in advance

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 06:47:25 AM »
What problem, specifically?

The "Target" field for the first one should contain
Code: [Select]
"G:\Flight Sims\Utils\VoiceAttack"
and for the second it should contain
Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -datadir "C:\Users\Dave\Appdata\VA DCS"
It's not quite clear from the screenshots whether those are currently the full and exact contents of those fields.

Crash

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 07:51:03 AM »
All sorted now. Thanks a lot for all your patience. I copied the line that you posted and pasted into the properties box. Somehow it created a folder in AppData. Anyway all right now.