Author Topic: Voiceattack 1.5.12 Hibernates My System  (Read 7794 times)

Loznarb

Voiceattack 1.5.12 Hibernates My System
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:16:04 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had a solution to the following problem, as I've spent some time on google and can't find anything. I'm running VoiceAttack version 1.5.12 on Windows 10 Pro with all updates installed.

When I launch VoiceAttack it takes my computer instantly into a hibernated state at a hardware level. I say hardware level as I actually have to hit the power button once on my machine. It boots up showing my MSI Gaming BIOS as normal, but when I log back in everything is still running. VoiceAttack is now running as well.

It runs normally and works great after that occurs. But if I switch profiles it also does the same thing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Technomancer

• I have a bad feeling about this...
Re: Voiceattack 1.5.12 Hibernates My System
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
Wow!  That's an odd one.  :o

Hope you get it sorted out.  I'd like to know if the root problem is found. I'm still on Win7, but was thinking of downgrad...err...moving to Win10 soon.   :P

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:15:59 AM »
Are you using profiles you made yourself? It could be a "rogue" command in a third party profile that(accidentally, presumably) triggers hibernation.

I'd try moving the files out of "%appdata%/VoiceAttack/"(to your desktop is fine) and checking whether the problem still occurs.

If it does, try reinstalling VoiceAttack if you haven't already.

Gary also recommends to "look at doing a system file scan:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm".

Loznarb

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
Are you using profiles you made yourself? It could be a "rogue" command in a third party profile that(accidentally, presumably) triggers hibernation.

It's a brand new install, it did it on the first launch after the new install with no profiles created. I created one profile for Elite Dangerous with like 5 commands to start with.

I'd try moving the files out of "%appdata%/VoiceAttack/"(to your desktop is fine) and checking whether the problem still occurs.

If it does, try reinstalling VoiceAttack if you haven't already.

Did this already, same issue persists.

Gary also recommends to "look at doing a system file scan:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm".

File scan came up clean. This one has really confused me, windows logs don't even show the hibernate. But I can recreate it over and over again.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
Very odd...I'm wondering mainly whether it's VoiceAttack itself or something external triggering when it starts, and I'm inclined to suspect the latter.

Could you try renaming the VoiceAttack executable and starting it? It'll start as a trial, but don't worry, it'll find the license when you undo the renaming.
I'm thinking if something is watching for the process name to trigger the hibernation, that may work.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »
Are you running Aquasnap by chance?  The only time I've seen that type of behavior is with Aquasnap.

There is a conflict between VA's mouse hook and Aquasnap's mouse hook (if you turn on the Aquasnap mouse feature).  I have absolutely no idea what is causing it, but adding more stuff to VA and recompiling seems to have moved things around (didn't need to change the mouse code).  You may want to try the beta to see if it helps: http://www.voiceattack.com/beta   

If you are using Aquasnap and the beta does not work for you, the only solution I have right now is to turn off the Aquasnap mouse function.

Loznarb

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
Are you running Aquasnap by chance?  The only time I've seen that type of behavior is with Aquasnap.

You are correct, I am running Aquasnap PRO. I'll turn it off and see if the behavior persists when I get home.

Thank you!

Loznarb

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »
Turned off Aquasnap and VoiceAttack no longer has the issue. Thanks for the help.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
Thanks for helping out on this one, guys.  I was very confused by this as well, since it was just so unusual.

Elmegaard

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, I was having the same issue. This is very weird indeed.