Author Topic: Losing volume in headset and microphone  (Read 9590 times)

druseljic

Losing volume in headset and microphone
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:43:44 AM »
I recently purchased VoiceAttack through Steam and then added the Elite Dangerous Phoenix voice pack.  When I try to play Elite Dangerous, the sound will just go out - no volume (using a bluetooth headset - tried more than one as well, same issue).  I have to turn the bluetooth off and then turn it back on to get the sound and when I do that the microphone will not register any sound.  If I start ED first the sound will go out when VoiceAttack loads.  The microphone does the same and when it does react, it says unrecognized "O" or unrecognized "A".  I've played with sound settings in windows, tried to kill all unnecessary programs to no avail.  Please, any help would be appreciated!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Losing volume in headset and microphone
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:23:41 AM »
A lot of (even relatively expensive) Bluetooth headsets don't support the correct Bluetooth profiles that allow the playback of high-quality audio while simultaneously utilizing the microphone (when you turn it off and back on again, the device is likely switching to a profile that is only designed for playback, which would be why the microphone stops working).

This is not a VoiceAttack or Elite:Dangerous-specific limitation; Unfortunately the use of Bluetooth as a communications standard by itself does not guarantee any specific functionality of a given device.

druseljic

Re: Losing volume in headset and microphone
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I did not know that about bluetooth.  I purchased a cheap ($20) usb headset today and will try that out.  Good information for people who may be trying to use bluetooth headsets.