Author Topic: Adding words to Dictionary  (Read 3393 times)

Squeeze

Adding words to Dictionary
« on: September 24, 2020, 04:43:16 AM »
I added some words to the Dictionary (incl. audio record) but it seems that this words still aren't recognized by VA. Does adding words really improve recognition or does it only improve Dictation?

Greetings
Squeeze

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Adding words to Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 05:04:32 AM »
Recorded pronunciations do apply to commands as well as dictation.

Though, the process is intended more as a way to enable the recognition of words that aren't in the dictionary by default (E.G. brand names); Improved recognition because the recorded pronunciation more closely matches what you're saying, rather than what the default language rules assume the pronunciation should be, is more of a side effect, in my opinion.

It's important to mention that speech recognition in general is sensitive to accents, E.G. if you don't speak with a US accent, the English - US recognizer will be less reliable.

For general recognition issues, the '"VoiceAttack is listening, but what it hears is complete gibberish compared to what I said"' section of this topic also offers some suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:39:19 AM by Pfeil »

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
If you are having trouble getting your custom words recognized, it would probably be easier to first take VoiceAttack out of the equation.

Try adding your custom word(s) and then open Notepad. Turn on Windows Speech Recognition and enable "listening" mode (circular microphone button). With Notepad in focus you can then dictate your custom word(s) and see what is recognized.

VoiceAttack's dictation mode (and its recognition in general) simply leverages the same internal mechanisms as used in the above example, though going about troubleshooting this way might be easier/faster from a UI point of view depending on what you are doing.

goofeyfoot

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »
I really don't understand what is going on.

I am simply trying to get VA to use a common air sim phrase, "HUD."

I have repeated that word about 100 times in the Microsoft Speech recognition correction dialogue and still I get the most ridiculous phrases instead of "HUD."  Such as "all it", "auto" and similar nonsense. I'm not doing any more training as the speech application never seems to learn from its dozens of errors.  That is a complete waste of time.

Everyone I speak to on Discord and such says that my mic sounds fine.  There is virtually no noise in my environment.

So what should I do?

PS, I don't have an accent.  American English is what I speak.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 05:05:01 PM »
Have you actually added that word (and recorded a pronunciation) to the speech recognition dictionary, which is what this topic is referencing?

A shortcut to that feature can be accessed via the "Utilities >" button on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, by choosing "Add/Remove Dictionary Words" from the context menu.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 05:08:40 PM »
Have you tried a different microphone?  Have you tried changing the volume level of your mic (could be too hot)? 
You could also try repositioning the mic to not be as close to your face (as your face tends to make a lot of noise when speaking).  There's going to be some kind of noise - just because it sounds ok to humans doesn't mean it's sounding ok to the speech engine (I know this from experience).

As a sanity check, I was able to create a command with spoken phrase of, 'hud' and it's working fine here (US English - no extra training required).