Author Topic: New install crashing  (Read 5966 times)

vulcanb2

New install crashing
« on: October 28, 2020, 06:20:06 AM »
Just installed VA v1.8.7 and as soon as I press "GO" the mouse cursor freezes about every 10 seconds and the main VA window keeps showing 2Device audio device detected"
After about 2 minuets the cursor freezes completely and I have to restart the PC.
Having read the post about a crash after 2 minuets I removed the app folder.
NB I have not done any setup work.

Win10.0.18362
.net 4.7.2 installed.
Attached is the VAfault file

Gary

• Administrator
Re: New install crashing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »
Does the crashing still happen even though the app folder has been removed?

vulcanb2

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:22:18 PM »
Does the crashing still happen even though the app folder has been removed?

Yes Gary

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
If you hold Ctrl and Shift while VoiceAttack is starting, then check the "Disable speech recognition (this session only)" option and click "OK", does the issue still occur?

vulcanb2

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
If you hold Ctrl and Shift while VoiceAttack is starting, then check the "Disable speech recognition (this session only)" option and click "OK", does the issue still occur?

No, the issue no longer exists even if I put the apps folder back.

I have just disabled all devices listed under the "Recording" tab in "Manage audio devices" in control panel and there is no crashing, that's without disabling speech recognition.
Could the problem be that VA was searching all the listed recording devices bearing in mind that at this stage I haven't made any settings in VA

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »
Does the Windows Speech Recognition application work correctly?

Also, click the wrench icon on VoiceAttack's main window, and on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window click "System info >", then choose "Generate Settings Summary", save the file, and attach it to your post here

vulcanb2

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 05:26:38 AM »
VA now not crashing so I can move on going through the manual.
It turned out there were problems within the audio settings when i tried windows speech recognition, this took a while to sot out.
I have now set my headset as default device and will proceed working through the manual.

I will be using two devices, headset or HMD and will initially set up using the headset.

I used VA a few years ago but have forgotten anything about setting it up, plus my system has changed since then.
many thanks for your and Gary's help.
Attached is the VASettings file

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
Not an issue I've seen reported before; Good that you got it working.

A note on using multiple microphones: Your speech recognition profile is trained for a specific microphone (and a specific environment); If you're going to train with a different microphone, you'll want to set up a new speech recognition profile for it (training one profile with multiple microphones will affect recognition accuracy).

Instructions on doing so can be derived from this topic.
This VoiceAttack profile is also worth looking into, as it'll allow you to switch between those speech recognition profiles without having to go into the settings manually.