Author Topic: Having text recon language different than windows one?  (Read 791 times)

harf4ng

Having text recon language different than windows one?
« on: November 07, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
Hi,

My windows is in french, and I would like to use voiceattack in english.
I have downloaded the english language pack and voices, I have selected english as the voice to use, but each time I try to launch the speech learning tool I have a message saying speech recon engine cannot be launched because it has to be the same as windows language.

So any idea?

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Having text recon language different than windows one?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 01:01:07 PM »
Have you changed your Windows display language to English as well? If you switch to that and complete the training, you can switch back afterward and the engine itself should work (it's mainly the training system that relies on display language, not the actual speech recognition engine).

Do note that the speech recognition engine is designed for a specific accent, I.E. if you don't speak English with a US accent, recognition for the "English - US" engine will be less accurate.

harf4ng

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 01:22:23 PM »
Even with the speech training?
I mean I'm french so I think I do not have an accent like a native of course.
That will not work then? Better stay in french?
Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »
Whether it's accurate enough is for you to decide. By all means give it a try.

A small number of users have reported that they feel they get better results with Speech Platform 11, so if the built-in Microsoft engine doesn't work, that's worth checking as well, if you prefer English.