Author Topic: Sending keystrokes to specific window...  (Read 2101 times)

Jim-Sim

Sending keystrokes to specific window...
« on: October 19, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »
Loving Voice Attack.

Created a profile for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.
Because I have multiple windows open and multiple applications running, when I create a MSFS specific command, I always tell it to get sent to the specific window.  Here's the rub...

When I created the command, the name of the window that comes up in the Voice Attack pull-down menu is "Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.9.3.0" but when I update the software (because Microsoft forces it) the window is now called "Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.9.5.0" and none of the previous commands work until I open each one and change the focus window.

Is there any way to avoid having to do this to dozens of commands every time the target software goes through an upgrade?

Thanx in advance for the help.

Jim-Sim

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Sending keystrokes to specific window...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »
Hi, Jim

What you can do is use wildcards instead of the full title.  For instance, 'Microsoft Flight Simultor*' will pick up any window title that starts with, 'Microsoft Flight Simulator'.

Also something to note is that if the majority of the commands in your profile will be invoked against MSFS, you can set the target for the entire profile through the profile's 'Options' screen.  All commands in that profile will then attempt to target MSFS, unless explicitly set in each command (that is. any command that does not target MSFS will need to be set explicitly to, 'Active Window' (or whatever specific window the command needs to target)).

Take a look in the VA help document for more info.  Search for, 'Send commands to this target'.

Hope that helps!

Jim-Sim

Re: Sending keystrokes to specific window...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
That makes perfect sense.  I wasn't aware that I could override the window names (or use wildcards).
I assumed that it needed a specific string.  I assumed this because once I got to editing the last command and sent it to the "1.9.5.0" window... the "1.9.3.0" selection disappeared.  I'll give this a try when I get home.

I also like the majority command suggestion.  About 90% of the commands in this profile are MSFS specific (except for a few browser and app specific commands - like "Open Spotify") so those could then be target specific.  I like this... this should work.

Thanx so much for the quick reply.

Jim-Sim