Author Topic: Constant crashing out..  (Read 6842 times)

WarpD

Constant crashing out..
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »
Hi, brand new user... and having a heck of a time keeping it running.  It never runs more than 3-5 minutes before crashing out.  I'm running Win 7 64 bit with all Windows Updates.  Have the current VoiceAttack installed (not the beta).

Here's the error log entry:

Code: [Select]
Application: VoiceAttack.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at SharpDX.DirectInput.Device.GetDeviceState(Int32, IntPtr)
   at SharpDX.DirectInput.CustomDevice`3[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[SharpDX.DirectInput.RawJoystickState, SharpDX.DirectInput, Version=2.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null],[SharpDX.DirectInput.JoystickUpdate, SharpDX.DirectInput, Version=2.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]].GetCurrentState(System.__Canon ByRef)
   at VAJS.VAJS.(System.Guid, Int32)
   at VAJS.VAJS.()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Constant crashing out..
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
Not a permanent solution, but have you tried holding down ctrl+shift on startup and checking "Disable joysticks"?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:29:15 PM »
Exceptions like this are sometimes due to corrupt system files.  You might want to try doing a system file scan/repair:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Hope that helps!

WarpD

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
Ok, it's definitely in the joystick code.  If I enable the joysticks... I get the crash, otherwise I don't.  I'm using a Saitek X55.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »
Can you try something for me?  I've seen this exception before, specifically with the X55.  Now that joysticks are disabled via startup options, restart VA normally.  Go into the Options screen and then into Joystick Options.  Click on the, 'minus' icon to unassign your joystick (stick should show assigned and disabled).  Then, go in and try to assign the stick and then enable it.  See if VA keeps running or if it continues to crash.

Anybody else using an X55 extensively with VA?

Also, did you happen to run the file system scan?  It never hurts to run that from time to time outside of this (so it's not really a waste of time even if it doesn't find anything).

WarpD

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
I went one better... I went and downloaded current driver from Saitek's website and ran the installer.  Making certain I had all of their current drivers installed.

Now I don't crash.  So... might want to catalog this one...  ;D

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »
Interesting find!  I'll dig around on that one, for sure. 

So, your stick functioned alright while gaming?

Thanks a LOT for the info ;)

WarpD

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 04:28:41 AM »
Yes... everything is currently behaving.