Author Topic: Voice Attack listening to others in voice comms  (Read 2571 times)

Spartan

Voice Attack listening to others in voice comms
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »
Hello,
First, let me say that I love VA when it is working right.  When I'm alone in a game it works as I want it to about 90% of the time, which I think is pretty damn good.  Unfortunately, it becomes useless to me when I'm in voice chat with team members.  It listens to not only my microphone, but to everything that is being said by the others and is unable to distinguish my voice from the other chatter, so it stops working...or worse yet, will perform a function when someone else says a key word or phrase.  I'm using a phono plug headset and I understand that it doesn't do this if you switch to a USB connection.  Is there a way I an fix this, so it doesn't hear other players and listens only to me? 

I did a search to see if there was already a thread present that covered this issue, but couldn't find any.  My apologies if I have asked a question that is already covered elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice Attack listening to others in voice comms
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:21:44 PM »
Which device are you using for speech recognition?

Click the wrench icon to open the VoiceAttack options window, check the "Windows Speech Recording Device" option on the "Recognition" tab.

The speech recognition engine hears what you pass through to it, which should only be audio from your microphone.

Spartan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Copy that.  Thanks for the quick response, didn't expect that.  I'm using v1.7.8 btw.  Clicked on the wrench...don't see "Windows Speech Recording Device", but clicked on "Recognition" tab and it says "System Default".

Spartan

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
What I'm seeing.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
Looks to be in order, Spartan.  What that means is that you've got a bleed over from your output (headphones) to your input (microphone).  It could be as simple as your audio is too loud and your mic is picking it up, or it could mean that your jack could be fouled up or bad circuitry in your headset.  There's a very small chance that it could be an audio driver or even another piece of software that's routing the audio.  The bottom line is that the input is getting output in some way, and that's not going to be good for a speech engine.  You'll definitely want to try a different headset as a first step.

Spartan

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
Curses...ok, thanks guys.  (Pfiel looks a little stressed, you might want to get him a beer. ;) )

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »
Unless there's a specific reason you're using v1.7.8, I'd recommend updating to the latest full release (v1.8.6 at this time).

It won't affect this issue, but there are a number of improvements and new features available in newer versions.

For future reference: "Windows Speech Recording Device" is at the bottom of the window in your screenshot, pertaining to the last dropdown (left of the "Disable Speech Recognition" checkbox).

Spartan

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Yeah, I spotted it when I looked again...duh.  I'll upgrade.  Thanks again.

Spartan

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
I'm giving you a follow up on this issue, in the hopes of helping others who may also experience it.  I was afraid that I was going to have to buy a new USB headset to replace the one I had, but, instead, I purchased a $7 USB adapter with a jack for both the audio and mic and it solved my problem.  Now the gang can be chatting merrily away, but VA hears none of it and I can use it normally. 

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »
Given that a USB "adapter" remedied the issue, the culprit was likely your existing soundcard or the configuration thereof.

Any sound device (E.G. headsets, speakers, microphones; MIDI excluded) that connects over USB actually contains a soundcard of its own.