Author Topic: Minor bug in "wait until speech completes before continuing command" option?  (Read 1847 times)

Phadebas

Hi Gary,

I think I might have spotted a (very) minor bug with the "wait until speech completes before continuing command" instruction.

The functionality seems to work well, but sometimes when it is set it doesn't show up in the edit a command screen. Please see the attached image for an example.

It isn't a particular problem as it is easy to work around, but I thought it might be helpful to mention it since I noticed it.

Many thanks for an excellent product and support!

David.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Are there specific settings within the action that cause this issue? Do you have a list of steps to reproduce it?

Which version of VoiceAttack are you running?

Phadebas

Hi Pfeil,

Thanks for responding.

It's the latest beta release: v1.8.6.9 (prerelease). I think the issue might have been present before the latest version though as I have noted it previously.

There are actually multiple instances where it is doing the same thing elsewhere in the same command and I have found examples where it is happening in other commands as well. Having looked at the examples I've found where it isn't displaying "and wait until it completes", the very last inverted comma appears to be missing from the text. Might this help to diagnose the cause?

I attach another example from a different command, with 4 text to speech instructions - the settings appear to be the same with all 4 including the "wait until speech completes" textbox being checked for all 4 - but the (and wait until it completes) only appears against 3 of the 4 shown - the final ' is present in all but the example that doesn't work as expected. The second image perhaps illustrates this best where I copied one of the working text to speech instructions under the same "Else if" as the non-working one and then edited the text to be the same.  one has the ' and shows the instruction, the other is missing the final ' and doesn't display the instruction.

Phadebas

A little further investigation reveals that every example where it isn't displaying, a return was present at the end of the line with no text present on the second line. Removing this makes the instruction show correctly.

Me being silly for putting the extra line in. So, not sure if this is a bug, or working as intended :).

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Adding a line, blank or not, does not cause that issue on my machine (also running v1.8.6.9), instead it shows a space, E.G.
Code: [Select]
Say, '[hardpoints' or 'weapons' or '] already [retracted' or 'stowed] '  (and wait until it completes)
(note the space between "stowed]" and "'")

Putting the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action between condition blocks doesn't affect this (as it shouldn't, just making sure)

Could you export that command and attach it to your post?

Phadebas

Yes, it's very strange.  Removing the return fixes the problem. Putting the return back does not recreate the problem and I get the same output you do: a space before the '.

I attach the exported command - but note that the text to speech which I originally highlighted is now "fixed" as per the above. But there is another one in there (line 9 in the attached), where the ' and instruction is missing.

Interestingly,  I selected the erroneous line and with right click selected "Copy selected as text" - when pasted it displays as this:

Say, '[hardpoints' or 'weapons' or '] already [deployed' or 'active]
'  (and wait until it completes)

So it appears the instruction is there, just not appearing in the Edit a command screen.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
After importing, I can see in the "Actions" column of the command list that the newline after "[hardpoints;weapons;] already [retracted;stowed]" didn't get trimmed/replaced originally (as it shows two lines in that row, one below the other in the same cell), but if I then open the command it does display correctly (both in the action list and when editing the "Say Something with Text-To-Speech" action).

Strange how the behavior differs between our machines.
Just in case, I'd try uninstalling and re-installing VoiceAttack (profile and settings data should not be affected), and running a system file scan.

Phadebas

Hi Pfeil,

I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest beta version and ran the system file scan as you suggested - it didn't seem to find any issues.

It still seems to be behaving in the same way.  It seems it might just be a "foible" with my machine/set-up rather than a general bug then. But, since the actual functionality of the software isn't affected, it's easily lived with - I will just make sure that there are no unnecessary returns in the text-to-speech box!

I'll keep an eye out and see how this behaves in future!

Many thanks for your time and input :)