Author Topic: Joystick buttons not being detected  (Read 3961 times)

Lobo

Joystick buttons not being detected
« on: September 03, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
I am running v1.8.6 on Windows 10.

I have multiple control devices, but for VA I am using a Virpil throttle, and as a test USB controller.

Device buttons are detected fine in "Game Controllers" and in DCS. This problem only appears in VA.

Even though VA allows me to assign both devices, it does not recognize any button press whatsoever when running "test" under "Joystick Options" or setting up buttons within a profile. I also even tried an Xbox controller as that sucker is detected and works with everything - no joy.

I also disabled plugin support to rule out Vaicom - no change.

I am using the Vaicom plugin, but I created a test profile to rule that out and buttons were also not detected in the test profile.

Thanks for any help in advance.

PS I just removed the Virpil throttle and buttons of other devices were then detected. So this problem is related to the Virpil throttle throwing something off in VA. Any ideas?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Joystick buttons not being detected
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:43 PM »
I would try removing the Virpil throttle, connecting just the XBox controller and then rebooting to see if that helps.

I noticed you've had VA for some time - was it working for you before?  I'm not getting any other reports of the joystick functionality not working - has something updated on your machine recently?

Lobo

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 09:20:54 PM »
Thanks for replying Gary.

I have had VA for some time, but had problems setting it up and having it understand my Australian accent, so I gave up until the last few days and am determined to get it working. I realise the accent issue is related to Windows speech recognition and am fixing that up with some success.

The problem is definitely related to the Virpil throttle. I just discovered everything works when it is unplugged. However, the throttle has no affect on any software. Any ideas on how I get the throttle working with VA?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 02:53:34 AM by Lobo »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
That throttle comes with toggle switches; Can those be turned off so they don't press a button, or is each state a separate button?

If more than two buttons are held down (in total, on any combination of mapped joysticks, E.G. one button on a joystick, another on a throttle controller), the testing dialog will not show any button presses, however commands should still trigger when their assigned button is pressed.

To assign a button while multiple buttons are held down already, you should be able to use the refresh button on the "Select Joystick Buttons" dialog to make that dialog functional again (the refresh button should also work on the testing dialog).

EDIT: VoiceAttack beta v1.8.6.9 contains a fix for this issue, and can be downloaded from the website
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:07:48 PM by Pfeil »

Lobo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »
For whatever reason all working now. I suspect over the last few days playing DCS I have coincidentally put the buttons in a state that VA can handle.