Author Topic: Always starting with listening enabled, even with -listeningoff command line  (Read 1332 times)

Robertsmania

I had been running an older version of VoiceAttack (1.7.5) and in general it worked fine.  The way my system works I like to have the listening turned off by default.  I have a key word I use to override the listening setting.

I find that when I update to either the newest beta or release versions (1.8.6.9 or 1.8.6) VoiceAttack always starts with listening enabled.  Even if I launch it from the command line with -listeningoff it still starts up enabled.

Is there a new setting in the options to always start with listening on or something?  I poked around the interface and searched the documentation, but dont find anything obvious.

I can turn it off manually every time I start up, but thats going to get tedious.  Is it user error, or is there a bug?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Do you have the "Recognition Global Hotkey" option on the "Hotkeys" tab of the VoiceAttack options window enabled?

That will enable listening when VoiceAttack starts, unless set to "VoiceAttack listens while keys are down" or "Listen then stop listening after recognition completes".

Robertsmania

Yes, that appears to be the root of my issue.

If I disable that recognition global hotkey then if I turn off listening and restart, its still off.

Thanks!

That seems very strange to me that enabling a hotkey feature like that changes the startup state and forces listening on.  Especially when you run with the -listeningoff command line option.  If I wanted to use that hotkey (which I dont really) I could imagine still being frustrated that the application always starts up with listening enabled.

Gary

• Administrator
That feature was intended primarily for externally controlling the listening of the running instance of VA - much more than it was it was for the startup state.  The listening hotkeys have always been set up to be in the state that they're configured to be - that functionality is loaded up near the end, inadvertently overriding the command line parameter.  So yeah - it's strange because it's broken ;)  This has been fixed and will be in the next beta.  Thanks for the heads up!