Author Topic: No Input Device Icon  (Read 1418 times)

wookieerage

No Input Device Icon
« on: December 03, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
Sorry if this has been previously resolved, I just can't find any reference for it.

Since installing VA on my new computer it does not recognize any input device on the side menu bar. In Options, on the Audio tab I do see the desired device in the "Set Windows Default Multimedia Audio Recording Device on Startup" and the "Set Windows Default Communications Audio Recording Device on Startup." I have also ensured the desired microphone is set as my preferred audio input device, in the Sound Control Panel app, having followed Gary's troubleshooting steps in https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=63.msg196#msg196

But my continued issue is the icon for a detected input device, above the "Stop Commands" icon along the right side of the VA window, is not present. I did add a xlr device to my computer after experiencing this issue and the microphone icon showed briefly, blinking red as if having difficulty with my voice, but I did see my words appearing in the commands window. However, VA stopped displaying the microphone icon soon after and has not shown it again since.

I've reinstalled VA, switched from Beta to the regular version, etc. But I cannot get it to detect any input device.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: No Input Device Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
Is the bar at the bottom of VoiceAttack's main window moving when you speak?

Are there any log entries showing that the speech recognition engine is detecting speech (recognized or not)?

There should not be a red microphone icon in the top right-hand corner, as that would indicate the speech recognition engine is detecting near-absolute silence (I.E. no signal).

wookieerage

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »
When I installed the xlr device I did get log entries and recognition of my speech at the time, but it was short lived and after VA stated it could not detect any input device. I cannot recall if the input recognition bar at the bottom was showing any activity.

Currently there is no activity at the bottom of the VA window or entries in the text area showing recognition of any speech.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
So VoiceAttack is showing it cannot detect an input device when it starts, currently? What is the exact message (left click the log entry to select it, then right-click the log entry and choose "Copy" and paste here)?

Does the "Windows Speech Recording Device" dropdown on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window show any devices?

Is the Windows Speech Recognition application working?

Something else to check is the "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" option, found in the Settings app under "Privacy", in the "Microphone" subsection.
Note that the "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" option, specifically, is relevant to VoiceAttack, however the "Allow apps to access your microphone" option must also be enabled (the former cannot be enabled without the latter).

Normally this option is enabled by default, and a Windows notification should pop up when you start VoiceAttack if it's disabled, but it's worth checking just in case.

Also, have you tried running VoiceAttack as administrator (click the wrench icon on VoiceAttack's main window, enable the "Run VoiceAttack as an Administrator" option on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, click "OK", then restart VoiceAttack to run it as administrator)?

wookieerage

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 10:55:35 PM »
Oddly enough, I left VA on and minimized when trying to troubleshoot it today. I forgot it was minimized and suddenly while in game and talking to people in my organization VA suddenly said something in response to me talking.

Now I see the voice meter at the bottom of the VA app window and have been able to run through the "Speech Engine Training" a couple times.

I have no idea why VA suddenly hears me though my mic, but I will keep track of any issues if they arise and post here for follow up. I sincerely appreciate your inquiries in response to my issue. If at any time I gain a better understanding of what caused the issue I will also follow up here for others.

Thank you very much!

wookieerage

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:58:42 AM »
Update. After closing and restarting the program it did not appear to recognize my microphone. However, I opened the Speech Recognition training to test further and the system did pick up my voice, allowing me to complete the session. After completing the Speech training VA picked up my voice just fine.

It would seem there is an issue upon start up. I had already set VA to run as an Administrator from startup as you suggested, so that does not appear to be a factor. But I will play with it more and note any further information here.