Author Topic: Soundboard tutorial  (Read 3518 times)

Phaser Rave

• DON'T PANIC!
    • My art
Soundboard tutorial
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:09:13 AM »
In this thread I will show you how to set up a soundboard using VoiceAttack. I've used multiple soundboard programs in the past, and I believe that VA is the best program for this purpose. This is partially because it can do so much more, but mostly because you're not limited to the number of available keys on your keyboard. This tutorial is geared towards using your soundboard in video games, but can apply to anything.

It's got a bit of an initial setup time, but afterwards it's as easy as loading two programs.

Here's what you will need for this tutorial:

VoiceAttack

VoiceMeeter (free)

Audio routing program, I'll be using the one that comes with Windows 10. Two alternatives: Audio Router (free), or CheVolume (paid).

VoiceMeeter

VoiceMeeter is used to split the audio from VoiceAttack so you and your desired game/program can listen to it. It can also merge the audio from your mic, or even mute it to your target game so only VoiceAttack can listen to your voice (which prevents other people from hearing you laugh at your hilarious sound bites and music). You can mute/unmute the mic with a hotkey, which can additionally be automated with VoiceAttack if you wish.

To start, install VoiceMeeter. There are multiple versions, I use the default one, but I'm sure they'll all work.

Configure it with these settings: https://i.imgur.com/atd3mjy.png

Here are those settings again, in case the image gets deleted...

Code: [Select]
Hardware input 1: Set this to your microphone (mine is set to WDM) , disable A, enable B.

Hardware input 2: For the input device, select "- remove device selection -".

Virtual input: Enable A and B.

Hardware out: Set A1 to MME Speakers.

I don't remember the difference between the WDM, KS, and MME in VoiceMeeter's hardware selection, yours might be different. If so, you may have to play with this.

Toggling B on Hardware input 1 is how you mute your mic. To add a hotkey for this, go to the menu in the top right and select "MacroButtons: Run on Voicemeeter start".

A new window should appear, enlarge it if you don't see buttons.

Right click on one of the buttons and configure it with these settings: https://i.imgur.com/EEWHIXr.png

Again, those settings are...

Name: Mic

Request for initial state:
Strip[0].B1 = 1;
Request for button ON / trigger IN:
Strip[0].B1 = 0;
Request for button OFF / trigger OUT
Strip[0].B1 = 1;
Keyboard shortcut: Pick a key that you like, I used Page Down.

Now clicking the button in the MacroButtons window, or pressing the hotkey should mute your mic to the game but not to VoiceAttack (by the end of the tutorial).

Last thing to do for VoiceMeeter is to check your sound settings in Windows. Search for and select Sound, or go to your Windows settings > System > Sound, then on the right select "Sound Control Panel". Check that your speakers and microphone are set to the default device and communication device by right clicking on them in the Playback and Recording tab. The default communications device may need to be changed depending on your game, but for now let's set these to default. If I remember correctly, VoiceMeeter changes these upon install, as it adds a new virtual playback and recording device. Make sure that these new devices are enabled.

App Volume

Next open up VoiceAttack and the App volume and device preferences (Windows settings > System > Sound, then "App volume and device preferences" at the bottom.

To get there quicker in the future, create a new shortcut somewhere by right clicking on an empty space in the desktop or in a folder and select New > Shortcut. In the properties of the shortcut, set URL to:
ms-settings:apps-volume
The app volume settings allows you to tell your programs where to get and send the audio Set the VoiceAttack output to VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO, and the input to your microphone.

Some games will simply allow you to use the app volume settings, others will require you to select the default device in the game settings, or you will have to change the default device in the sound settings mentioned earlier.

For instance, with Fallout 76 you can set the input in the app volume settings to VoiceMeeter output, and it will work fine.

In games like Overwatch, you need to go to the game settings and check that the Voice Chat Devices is set to default devices. Then you set the input in the app volume settings to VoiceMeeter. Although with Overwatch, you can keep that as default and in your sound settings you set the VoiceMeeter recording device as default. Either way seems to work for Overwatch, but maybe not every game.

In Deep Rock Galactic, I couldn't get it to work unless if I set the VoiceMeeter input as both default and default communication. I think it really just depends on the game, so be sure to play with it.

VoiceAttack

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pjk5nK3gtdYJGT5KlQLS1KtwTkeH3ZMr/view?usp=sharing

This is an example soundboard profile. Mostly all you need to do is to add sound clips. It's all pretty straightforward, but we'll go over the commands.

The Control command "Assign voice hotkey" is in this example profile, but I have it in its own separate profile in my setup. I wouldn't recommend putting it in each soundboard profile you have, just a Control profile will suffice. This command asks you for the voice hotkey that your game uses, and then writes that variable to a text file so all of the other soundboards you have can use that key. This key will be the push to talk button that your game uses. I found it much more convenient to do it this way instead of setting the push to talk key directly in each command, for when I've needed to change that key. You only need to assign the key once, as it will be saved to a file.

The Control command "Get voice hotkey" is required if you use the first command, and must be set to execute each time the profile is loaded in the profile options.

In both of those commands, change "ChangeMe.txt" to your desired text file in your desired location.

In the Stop command, I have disabled "Stop VoiceAttack command processing" because it interfered with Overwatch, interrupting my movement while I was holding down the movement keys. It doesn't really matter, as this is a soundboard and all we really need is the part that stops all sounds from playing.

"Replay last command" is great for commands which play a random sound, or for micspamming (but I don't recommend that). Just press the hotkey and the previous executed command will play again.

"Play a sound" and "Play a random sound from a folder or selection" first presses the push to talk key assigned earlier, plays a sound, then releases the key when the sound has finished. Just change the name of the command to something not too long, and assign a sound file or folder of sound files to these commands. Duplicate and edit these until you've had your fill.

You could even have VoiceAttack press the VoiceMeeter mute button we assigned earlier while the sound is playing. VoiceAttack will still hear you, but the game won't.

Now that you've got your sounds setup, you can export your soundboard profile to HTML to give yourself a cheatsheet. Consider wearing headphones and setting your voice recognition to "Listen then disable" as to not accidentally micspam your teammates.
Poor grammar makes me [sic]