Author Topic: Windows Mixed Reality HP Reverb messes up VA audio outputs  (Read 1647 times)

mtjoeng

Windows Mixed Reality HP Reverb messes up VA audio outputs
« on: June 05, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
Spoiler: I solved VoiceAttack not outputting the 'say' command to the VR headset by installing VB-Audio VoiceMeeter (Banana) virtual "Cable" and this somehow triggers the output to the VR headset, but will not even remember this setting. 

The problem is this.
VR goggles have a setting 'mirror VR Headset sound to desktop' both in WMR and in SteamVR that work only 50% of the time, so I needed a solution, which is VB-Audio VoiceMeeter (Banana) that can hijack all inputs and send these to 3 (+2 aux) outputs, so that my switching from Discord/Teamspeak voice to VR gaming keeps the audio(s) running on both.

Voiceattack though when I connect/fire up my VR googles (mic/headset) together with another (good quality) microphone, goes berserk with the settings a. 'Communications Audio Playback Device' and b. 'Multimedia Audio Playback Device'.
VoiceAttack settings  - kind of - tend to default to a. the WMR HP Reverb microphone and b. the motherboard soundcard, and this does not play well with a VR Headset and mic popping up in the windows audio, VA will not remember any setting either, and the voice command 'say' will not  be routed to the HP Reverb headset, no matter what I set in the options.

As I said first, this can be 'solved' by having a VB-Audio VoiceMeeter virtual "Cable" driver trigger the output to the headset at some sort of random way (this will not be remembered in the options setting either).

This should be solved.

Edit - Title changed (Gary)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:30:40 AM by Gary »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Windows Mixed Reality HP Reverb fc*ks up VA audio outputs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
Which settings are you referring to?

The dropdown controls in the lower section of the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window show the Windows default devices, unless you manually change that option.

If you do manually change that option, it will not do anything unless you either click the "Change Now" button next to the relevant control to change the Windows default device to the selected device, or check the "on Startup" option above the control to have VoiceAttack attempt to change the Windows default device to the selected device when it starts.

At any other time, Windows can freely change default devices if devices are connected or removed.

If you want to explicitly set certain audio devices as Windows defaults without having to go into the Windows settings, or the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, you can use the "Change Default Audio Devices" action in a command.

There are also the "Override Default Playback Device" and "Override Default Text-to-Speech Device" options which determine to which device sounds and TTS will be played, respectively, regardless of the Windows default devices, provided the sound/TTS playing actions in your commands are set to use the default device.
Note, however, that these options can only be changed in the VoiceAttack options window, so they are not really intended for constantly switching devices.

mtjoeng

Re: Windows Mixed Reality HP Reverb messes up VA audio outputs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »
What you say is how things are Supposed to work, but that didn't.

Tell you what though, now it does, not so much the logic of the outputs, but all of a sudden I can mirror everything from VR to desktop, and inc. the 'play' command, which was the problem.

I don't know why it works now, but my guess is, 'play' doesn't do 'to active window' well.

Sorry for the bother.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Windows Mixed Reality HP Reverb messes up VA audio outputs
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 11:09:45 AM »
If you're referring to the command target settings, those have no bearing on actions like playing sounds or TTS; They are mainly intended to bring a window into focus for sending keypresses and mouse buttons.