Author Topic: Profile Export Questions  (Read 1922 times)

mtm

Profile Export Questions
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »
When exporting my profile as XML it appears the <Id> field for every command is updated with a new value each export, regardless of whether anything has changed.  Is there something I can do to keep these ids from regenerating?

Also, some of my xml exports contain a "_caption" field for each command and in others it's missing entirely.  What controls that behavior, and can I influence it at all?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Profile Export Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
Id is an internal value, and should not be depended on for anything.  You'll want to use InternalId for a value that would be under your control (InternalId is a relatively new value - the documentation has this under 'VoiceAttack Author Flags'). 

The only portion of an XML-exported profile that is somewhat officially supported is what is indicated in the Author Flags section of the help document - and only to the extent of what those values should be.  Outside of that, an XML-exported profile is typically used for mass updating information that is not/cannot be done through the user interface (use at your own peril kind of thing).

mtm

Re: Profile Export Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »
That's kinda what I figured.  Thanks.

The issue with the Ids (I'm already using internal ids where appropriate) is that it confuses source control.  Doing a diff to find out what changed between versions gets excessive noise from the changing Ids.  Not the end of the world.  Just a minor annoyance.