Author Topic: Voice attack is resizing my desktop  (Read 1384 times)

smeggles

Voice attack is resizing my desktop
« on: February 22, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »
I purchased a voice attack license today

Whenever I launch the application, my desktop is resized to an unmanagably small window (which VA says is not supported).  Upon closing the application, it resizes to the original resolution.

I have tried resizing the new desktop size when the application is launched, but this only persists for that particular session.  Closing the application and reopening it sets it to this tiny size again.

What is the solution here?  I can't see why VA should be interacting with screen resolution at all

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Voice attack is resizing my desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:18:46 PM »
Do you have some kind of compatibility setting turned on by chance?  Right click on VA's icon, select, 'Properties', go to the Compatibility tab and see if the, 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution' option is selected.  If that is selected, make sure to unselect it.

smeggles

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
wow thanks for the quick reply Gary

The issue did persist after an uninstall and reinstall, so unless there was a settings file that persisted after the uninstall, the 640x480 option came stock.  I did change the program to always run in administrator mode like the install helper suggested, but AFAIK that's the only setting I've messed with so far.

I ran the compatibility troubleshooter and win10 suggested I run in compatability mode for windows 8.  i went with it and VA seems to launch without issue now.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »
If that box was checked, you had to have checked it (or Windows is set up somehow to do so) - VoiceAttack does not set that setting (I wouldn't even know how to set that programmatically, tbh).  Probably when you were setting it up to run as admin you had inadvertently checked it (hitting the space bar if it's highlighted will check the box, too).  Also, if that setting were stock, this place would be in all-out riot mode ;)

Glad you got it sorted!