Author Topic: Would need a little help to start me up  (Read 2101 times)

polynut

Would need a little help to start me up
« on: January 26, 2020, 12:39:36 PM »
Hi guy's,

I am a long time game dev that have finally screwed both his arms in the process and now trying to finish a game start 5 years ago with voice commands and a gyro mouse on my head to control the cursor.

First i like to say a big thank you to the author of that software since i would have no hope to finish my game without it and this mean that if i ever get to be successful with the game then i will remember you.

I am just making my first steps and i have just a few basic noob questions that would help me starting and i search the forum prior but did not find precise answers to my questions so here it is :

1-The very first question i have is how can i use dictation to write text in forum like i am currently doing because each letter i type hurt me as hell?

2-Is there a need to make a global commands profile or should i just make software specifics profile?

3-How can i make a voice command that would center the mouse cursor on dual monitors setup, i mean center the cursor on either monitor 1 or monitor 2 since i work in extended mode?

4-the basic command include to launch the calculator didn't work even after i chose the correct calc.exe location in C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe ?

5-How can i use voice commands to activate VA with start listening and stop listening since i am pretty sure i had an option asking for this in initial setup but saying it do nothing?

PS i am in administrator mode

Thank for any help i could get to start with and for those interested in a very low cost setup to control cursor just have a look at this link from disable gamers on reddit : https://np.reddit.com/r/disabledgamers/comments/9z9nim/my_lowcost_handsfree_gaming_setup_suggestions/

This setup work amazingly well for cursor precision and for me instead of a baseball cap i use a flashlight head strap with a Velcro band to hold it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:30:46 PM by polynut »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Would need a little help to start me up
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 07:05:49 PM »
1- If you're wanting to do real dication that's accurate (generally that means context-aware), you'll want to steer away from Microsoft's free offerings and go with something like Cortana or Dragon.  VoiceAttack's, 'dictation' uses the Windows speech engine and neither one is context-aware.

2- Global profiles are generally used for your common commands between profiles.  If you are making profiles for others to use, you'd want to make your profiles self-contained in order to avoid confusion by your users.  If you are the only user of your profiles, global profiles are a great way to not have to duplicate commands and pay off big time if you don't have to alter the same command in several profiles.

3- That's something that can be done, however, VoiceAttack provides a lot of different ways to do different things. You'll want to take a look at the VoiceAttack help document, which is located in your installation folder (or can be launched by pressing F1 when VoiceAttack has focus).

4- Not sure what's up there - that's been working for years.  Are you using Windows 10?

5- You'll want to add a command that has the action, 'Stop listening' as its first action and another command that has the 'Start Listening' action as its first action.
When VoiceAttack is told to stop listening, it's still, 'listening' for indication to start listening (that is, processing spoken requests) again.

Hope that helps get you started some and welcome to the crew ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:44:55 PM by Gary »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
3-How can i make a voice command that would center the mouse cursor on dual monitors setup, i mean center the cursor on either monitor 1 or monitor 2 since i work in extended mode?
For the primary monitor, you can use the "Move to a specific location" option of the mouse move action (click "Mouse >", choose "Move") set to "Primary Screen Center".

As extended displays can be anywhere, there is no such option for those, however you can move the mouse cursor to a set of coordinates by selecting the "Move to coordinates" option, clicking the "Set Position" button (make sure "Mouse Movement Relates to:" is set to "Screen coordinates"), moving the cursor to your extended display, and pressing F8 to capture those coordinates (click "OK" to add them to the action, then "OK" to add the action to your command).

If you have the cursor roughly centered and that's close enough for you, that's the entire command.
If not, you can add another mouse move action below the previous one, and set it to "Move to a specific location", choosing the "Cursor Screen Center" option, which will result in the cursor first getting moved to the extended display, then centered on that display (you can see the cursor move in two steps very quickly).

polynut

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:13:13 AM »

1- If you're wanting to do real dication that's accurate (generally that means context-aware), you'll want to steer away from Microsoft's free offerings and go with something like Cortana or Dragon.  VoiceAttack's, 'dictation' uses the Windows speech engine and neither one is context-aware.

Sorry to sound like an illiterate regarding cortana since i disable it and never use it from the beginning but how could it be use to type dictation in forum or any type field?

4- Not sure what's up there - that's been working for years.  Are you using Windows 10?

Yes i am under windows 10 and if i launch the calculator from the calc.exe it is working perfectly but when i try via VA it's not launching but curiously the close calculator command does work.

polynut

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
For the primary monitor, you can use the "Move to a specific location" option of the mouse move action (click "Mouse >", choose "Move") set to "Primary Screen Center".

As extended displays can be anywhere, there is no such option for those, however you can move the mouse cursor to a set of coordinates by selecting the "Move to coordinates" option, clicking the "Set Position" button (make sure "Mouse Movement Relates to:" is set to "Screen coordinates"), moving the cursor to your extended display, and pressing F8 to capture those coordinates (click "OK" to add them to the action, then "OK" to add the action to your command).

If you have the cursor roughly centered and that's close enough for you, that's the entire command.
If not, you can add another mouse move action below the previous one, and set it to "Move to a specific location", choosing the "Cursor Screen Center" option, which will result in the cursor first getting moved to the extended display, then centered on that display (you can see the cursor move in two steps very quickly).

Thank a lot for that detail explanation for the mouse setup and it doesn't require to be exactly on center since it is just to correct the cursor drifting from the gyro mouse and by the same time reducing neck movements.

PS your avatar is the best of all!

EricM

• VA user since 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
1-The very first question i have is how can i use dictation to write text in forum like i am currently doing because each letter i type hurt me as hell?

For simple quick dictation you can use a command like this:

When I say:"type *"
Code: [Select]
Say, '{CMD}'
Quick Input, '{CMD_AFTER}'
e.g. You say "type incredible graphics", it inputs "incredible graphics".

I use several commands like this to handle:
• Typing Like This
• Typing like this.
• typing_like_this
• typingLikeThis
• TypingLikeThis

usefulForProgramming;

It also helps to have single letter commands like "alpha" for "a" and "beta" for "b" etc.

For typing lots of text, I recommend using Google speech recognition on your cell phone with *Unified Remote* sending it to your pc.