Author Topic: Input Director help  (Read 2428 times)

ozzyneil

Input Director help
« on: February 16, 2020, 01:06:06 AM »
Can't get VA working with Input Director, (program to allow monitor switching and mouse and keyboard use over a network)
I have the keys working correctly in ID and assigned correctly in VA, Voice commands are recognized, but will not switch to other monitor.
Using "Send command to this target" on the default monitor is working as well.
I'm stumped.
I've followed this as well https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=53.0
Cheers, Neil.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Input Director help
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:08:59 AM »
Can you elaborate on the behavior you're expecting versus the behavior you're actually observing?

Are you trying to send keypresses to another computer via that application? Are you trying to use the macro functionality of that application?

Running VoiceAttack as administrator does not make a difference?

ozzyneil

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »
Hi, All Input director does is move my mouse pointer to another networked monitor when I press the assigned key on my keyboard.
So I press the m  key and it switches to the other monitor and then I can still use my mouse and keyboard from the main PC on the other PC.
So I have everything setup as I would normally do when assigning a simple key press, VA picks up my voice but the mouse cursor does not respond. If I then press the assigned key it works.
I have set VA to administrator mode.
I have tried other settings in Input Director which can move the mouse within the same monitor and it works, it just wont respond to sending it.to another networked monitor.
Cheers

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
Do you have to have Input Director installed on multiple machines, ozzyneil?  If so, it is possible that Input Director may not be responding to normal Windows messages and maybe relying on hardware input.  If that is the case, there's nothing that VA will be able to do.  I don't have Input Director to be able to test this out. 

Hoping somebody out there might have Input Director to give it a try -

ozzyneil

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:33:20 PM »
Hi Gary, Input director is installed on Both PCs to communicate with each other, but it makes no sense that if I do  a simple key press it switches back and forth between the 2 PCs. It's weird that other functions work with VA and ID together, just not the one i want.
Does VA evaluate the key press before it sends the command?, or does it simply just press the key you want.
It's no big deal, just would be nice to use it.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:16 PM »
If you have VA press the, 'M' key, for example, it sends a message to the target application that indicates that the, 'M' has been pressed.  This is through an API call.  Is it possible that ID is passing messages through to the networked pc ?

ozzyneil

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:56:16 PM »
Not sure, I'll keep messing around though.

Xariyl

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »
Input Director is essentially a software-based KVM switch, right? It has to be installed on both PC's, so they can communicate with each other and also catch the input from your keyboard+mouse. If I understand correctly:  by "switching monitors", you're saying the Input Director stops signals from your keyboard+mouse from going to PC1 and instead sends them to PC2. Pressing the "M" key on your keyboard now triggers Input Director on PC2, sending control back to PC1.

My assumption/theory: Voice Attack on PC1 is still trying to "push" M on PC1, sending control to PC2. You're already on PC2, so from your perspective nothing seems to happen. (Voice Attack doesn't physically push anything on your keyboard, so PC2 is not receiving any input from Voice Attack.)

Do you have Voice Attack on PC2? If not, I suggest installing it and your control profile onto PC2 as well.
Does Input Director redirect your microphone to PC2? If it does, easy to move on from there. If not, you may need a secondary microphone added to PC2, and edit your VA profile to stop listening to whichever PC is no longer primary.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 12:16:32 AM »
Do please note that VoiceAttack is licensed for a single user on a single machine at a time. If you intend to use VoiceAttack on more than one machine simultaneously, you'll need a license for each.

If you're running multiple licensed instances of VoiceAttack, and have the technical skill to write a plugin or an inline function, you could also have your primary machine do the recognition, and have it send an instruction for the command you want executed to the other machine over the network.