Author Topic: VA Force Mono?  (Read 1482 times)

CMDR_EVOLUTION

VA Force Mono?
« on: January 06, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
Hello VA.

I use VA with HCS packs and from VA, the sound is output through my left and right speakers which are using 7.1.

However, for EDDI (a plugin), that uses the centre channel.

Having two audio outputs of speech through the different channels doesn't sound right unfortunately. I asked the HCS devs in their discord channel and they recommended audio upmixing/speaker fill through my soundcard as a universal solution but that would affect everything else. I wouldn't like to force everything into stereo (to line up with VA) as then I lose 7.1 surround for Elite Dangerous and all other games.

I then raised a GitHub EDDI support request and have done some investigations with them. They produced two alpha builds for me which I tested and reported back on. Their solution was to force their Mono output into stereo, but then that goes through all channels, opposed to VA in L&R again.
https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/issues/1667

I've been looking online for an app to adjust different applications audio outputs but all the topics seem to be for universal solutions such as people using a single ear bud.

So, here I am :). Can I force VA to output to Mono i.e. just the centre speaker please?

If I can't change a file somewhere to force that, I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions you could share.

Thanks,
Evo

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA Force Mono?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
VoiceAttack cannot be configured to output mono, no.

You could try something like Voicemeeter Banana, which does appear to have a mono mode (you'd have to play VoiceAttack audio to a virtual device using the "Override Default Playback Device" and "Override Default Text-to-Speech Device" options, which then Voicemeeter may be able to play back as mono).

CMDR_EVOLUTION

Re: VA Force Mono?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 04:03:10 PM »
Thanks for the information and suggestion Pfeil.

I installed it and tried it for an hour or so and I couldn't get it to work but thank you, it's a good place to start so I can look for alternatives.

It was picking up the stereo sound but mono just seemed to join the channels together (if anything) whilst still outputting through those same channels but not the centre. Selecting centre produced no sound and nor did rear. I configured the w10 sound settings in case that was it and restarted but have the same issue.

Thanks a lot anyway, I'm glad I've got the name of a tool of the type I need, so I'll use that to see what else might do the job.

All the best, Evo