Author Topic: How do I get VA to identify a tone or whistle?  (Read 990 times)

Malic

How do I get VA to identify a tone or whistle?
« on: December 18, 2019, 06:37:11 AM »
Just a random idea I had, to be able to use Voice Attack with Red Dead Redemption 2, where a whistle can call the horse, that expanded into wondering if it could identify different tones.

Not sure if possible due to using windows voice though.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How do I get VA to identify a tone or whistle?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »
The Microsoft speech recognition engine is designed to recognize speech in a given language, which whistling isn't, so that is highly unlikely to work.

You could try adding a word to the dictionary and recording a custom pronunciation for it while whistling, but it's unlikely to be matched correctly when you repeat it, and I don't know whether it could negatively affect the recognition of regular words (especially during dictation).

anoburn

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
I had a similar idea a while back. Since it is not possible with speech recognition, I actually tried to build some sort of whistle detection myself in Python, which can then maybe be connected for use with Voice Attack or by simulating key presses directly. If you are interested I'll gladly share my code so far.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
Might not be possible with Voice Recognition, but there are some old school devices that let you whistle to find your keys - a keychain with an audio sensor designed to respond to whistles, and then emit a beeping sound from the keychain.

This might be fun to play with, if you're into DIY and Arduino stuff, could take it apart and pull the beeping wire leads and hook it up to either an analog or digital input on an Arduino (or clone) and connect it to the computer through USB through some sort of sketch that could enact a keypress, joystick button press, etc. when a whistle is detected.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Anti-Lost-Wireless-Whistle-Keychain/dp/B07XM3N7F9/

JoeUncaged

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »
I'm new to voice attack, but saw this and thought maybe you could make up a fake word and teach windows that it sounds like your whistle???  Just thought it might be an easy thing to try? https://youtu.be/Oh1a733tDRU