Author Topic: Text size  (Read 3454 times)

Incurable-Rash

Text size
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
Text is not changing size even with I change the screen DPI or scale the fonts up.
Am I missing something I thought it was changed to follow the DPI scaling of the screen. Everything on the screen got larger except VA.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Text size
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »
VoiceAttack should scale along with the display scale setting:

E.G. if you go over 100%, the window size, control spacing, and font size, should all increase.

Is that not occurring when you change the setting? What is your display setup (I.E. how many screens/which resolution)?

Incurable-Rash

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
No the window gets bigger but the text stays the same size I have gone from 100% to 125 and 150% with no change in text size. I have even increased the font scaling and nothing happens even though everything else on the screen gets bigger.
version 1.8.2

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
Have you restarted VoiceAttack and/or rebooted your computer after changing the scaling setting?

How many screens do you have connected, and what is their resolution/scaling setting (scaling is set per display, so each screen can have a different setting)?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 10:41:43 PM »
Just shooting from the hip here - have you made any changes to the compatibility options in regards to display?  Right-click on VA > Properties > Compatibility > Settings > Change high DPI settings (or any of the other settings).  I haven't messed with any of that at all, so, I'm not sure what they do to VA (if anything).

Incurable-Rash

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 10:43:37 AM »
To answer both questions:
I have 2 screens they are both set at the same scaling. The resolution for the monitors is 2560 x 1440. Yes I reloaded all my software including windows 10 a day ago all the monitors the same

I did mess with the scaling for ED Market Connector but because none of those worked I put them back.
Except for setting the monitor scaling to 125% and increasing the text to 110% nothing has changes since I reloaded all the software.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »
VoiceAttack will not scale with the "Ease of Access" "Make text bigger" setting, no.

However the "Make everything bigger" setting should work, as it changes the same setting as the display scale setting does.

Are both displays set to 125% scale, or only the primary display? If you only changed the "Make everything bigger" setting, your secondary display would still be at 100% scale.

Even with the "Make text bigger" setting set to 110%, the "Make everything bigger" setting works as expected on my machine. Could you take a screenshot of the VoiceAttack window with the small text?

Incurable-Rash

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Both screens are set to the same in my 125%
I tried both at 150% and 200%, the window for VA got bigger but the text stayed the same.
I have attacked screen shots for 125% 150% and 200%

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
Wow - that's rather strange.  The reliance of scaling is on the controls themselves, and I'm not able to reproduce the problem using various settings (with and without multi monitor).  I'll need to keep an eye out to see if anybody else exhibits the same problem and then find out if a pattern can be established.  If I can establish a pattern, I can usually find a solution.  In the meantime, if the problem makes VoiceAttack unusable for you, you might want to consider rolling back to a previous version (v1.7.8 was the version immediately prior to v1.8+).  Previous versions are located here:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=293.0

Incurable-Rash

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »
Thanks
I can still use, it but it would be nice if I could enlarge it. I mention it because it didn't seem right. Not to mention it could just be my rig that is the problem.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »
If you tinker with your rig a bunch, it's likely.  If you find that you've possibly changed a setting that might affect this, please post about it here!

Incurable-Rash

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
I have tried everything I know how to do, to fix the sizing issue, short of re installing windows 10. Nothing has changed. All the other app that I am using respond to the size change except VA. I have even done a clean install of VA several times and with no change.
I am out of ideas here, any suggestions?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »
The only thing I can suggest at this point is to roll back to v1.7.8.  If I can identify what is going on with your particular situation, I'll be sure to get a fix out there.  Sorry about that!

Scraz

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
I had a scaling problem on my 4k monitors with 1.7 and I found a similar issue with sqldeveloper. I ran across a solution posted in the forum over there... which I applied to VA 1.7 and it worked great... only to find out that 1.8.2 was out now and my scaling issue was resolved without that solution after updating (great work!!).

Here's the short version for anyone who might want to try it...
1 Find your exe and right click on it
2 Click on Properties
3 Select the Compatibility tab
4 Click on the Change high DPI settings button towards the bottom of the window
5 At the bottom of the new pop up under High DPI scaling override, check the box for "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
6 From the dropdown select System or System (Enhanced)... Try each independently and see what works best for you. For me, enhanced created an issue with dropdown arrow button alignment in 1.7.

More info here https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-adjust-high-dpi-scaling-in-windows-10/)

For me v1.8.2 looks sharper and clearer natively with correct sizing in all cases except the dropdown arrows still look pretty small, but I'd rather have a tiny arrow than have blurry text so it's really no big deal. (I have the global scaling set at 200% in case that makes a difference)

As a footnote, I didn't try the Program DPI checkbox since my monitors have the same 4k resolution, multiple display setups using different resolutions might want to check that out though.