Author Topic: cant get VA working with ED  (Read 1871 times)

mc_dan13

cant get VA working with ED
« on: December 16, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
Windows10, Asus 1660 super dual, Tomahawk Max mobo, AMD 2600x, 16G ram, m.2 ssd
Tried running as admin., set target to ED cliant1, played with key press timings. My commands are recognized VA appears to see ED but nothing happens in game.
Do overlays affect VA. The video card install geforce experience and there is also an xbox overlay I think Steam installed. Should I dump these?

Please Help, looks like an excellent addition to ED just wish it worked...

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: cant get VA working with ED
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
I take it you're using a profile/command you've created yourself, rather than a third-party profile, E.G. from HCS Voice Packs?

Have you tried leaving the command target set to the default "Active Window"?

Does your command produce output if you target notepad?

In theory an overlay may intercept keypresses, but that's not a commonly reported issue at least.

As an aside, the Xbox overlay comes with Windows 10; Steam has its own overlay.

mc_dan13

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:10:28 AM »
Yes to the profile question, wanted VA working before buying a voice pack. Active Window was the default setting. Overlays are a non issue then. I ran VA without EDH running and got an error so I know VA sees EDH.
Let me try notepad, be back in a few,

Thx

mc_dan13

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
Yes, the letter "a" is inputted to notepad when I say "left". Could not target notepad unless it was started first, Does EDH need to be running before VA is opened?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »
Have you tried any other keyboard keys, preferably one that would have an instantly observable effect within the game?

If your command target is set correctly (both at the profile and the command level; "Active Window" should work if the game has focus), the timing is long enough (E.G. 0.100 seconds, though you could try with something like one second just to make sure), and VoiceAttack is running as administrator, it should work unless another application (or something hooked into the game) is somehow preventing the keypress from getting through.

mc_dan13

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
Ok, when I say pause the "escape key" command works. Looks like I need help with key and button presses for EDH. Am using a Thrustmaster hotas4 with pc driver installed. I was trying to access the left comm panel which requires the hat switch which isn't recognized by VA.

mc_dan13

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »
Have tried in keyboard and mouse mode and hotas unplugged. The controls settings say that the letter a should open the left comms panel.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »
VoiceAttack can use a joystick for input, E.G. to trigger VoiceAttack commands, but it is not possible to virtually press buttons on a physical joystick. This is how the DirectX joystick interface is designed, and is not VoiceAttack-specific.

You can press buttons on a virtual joystick, using this plugin, however having functions mapped to keyboard keys ingame and using VoiceAttack to press them (I.E. have VoiceAttack monitor your joystick a button press, then trigger a command that sends a keypress to the game) is more flexible.

Are you using a non-qwerty keyboard layout? Have you tried sending "q" instead of "a"? Does the ingame function work if you press the physical key on your keyboard?