Author Topic: Sound initialization timeout  (Read 3403 times)

Arcticred

Sound initialization timeout
« on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
Hi all,

I have just started playing Star Citizen again after a year off, last time i played i used ORION and loved it.
I deleted VA yesterday and then downloaded the new version, i then installed ORION Basic profile SC 2.3.1 (that's what shows in my profile box anyway).

When i speak, my commands are executed but i don't get any voice response.
My sounds folder is in Program files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Sounds i have checked them all and i can manually click on them and hear Shatners voice, i just don't get them from my voice commands.

The message i get in the display lines under the profile box is
Sound initialization timeout: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Sounds\hcspack-ORION\additional dialogue\I am Orion.wav
The path after \Sounds depends on the prompt i gave.

I have been trying to get this working all day now and even emailed VA but have yet to get a response.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Sound initialization timeout
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »
Do you have the "Audio Output Type" option on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window set to "Integrated Components"?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
Hi, there -  Sorry for the delay.  I got your email and I saw only the first line where you were thanking me for the lost key recovery - I didn't realize until a minute ago that there was more under there ;)

If you are certain the path to the files are correct, it's possible that it's a permission issue that's keeping VA from accessing the files.  If that is the case, the simplest suggestion would be to try running VA as an admin.  The second suggestion would be to uninstall the pack and install it in a location that VA can access.

Try Pfeil's suggestion first to make sure the culprit isn't Windows Media Components.

Arcticred

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Pfiel, i tried your suggestion and set sound to integrated components.

I now get one error messages in yellow.
06:18:54 - Error initializing sound - 'C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Sounds\hcspack-Orion\Planetary landings\Radio Effect\Pressurising.wav' : Audio stream did not load in a timely manner.

Followed (sometimes, not always) by my old friend in red.
06:18:32 - Sound initialization timeout: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Sounds\hcspack-Orion\Planetary landings\Radio Effect\Affirmative stand by.wav

I always run VA as admin. So i don't think its a permission issue.

I have deleted the pack and reinstalled it, that hasn't worked either. I am assuming that it is installing in the wrong place but i am not computer literate enough to sort this out unfortunately  :-\
The files are all stored in Sounds\hcspack-ORION

I was hoping for a simple fix but it looks like im just going to have to play without the sound, kind of defeats the point in purchasing any packs but it's better than not having VA at all.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 12:20:51 AM »
Hmmm.... I'm not sure where to guide you on that - it's a very simple system:  read file, play file - it's been that way since around 2010- there's not much magic in there.  I'm thinking either a permission issue or a file read issue is what's holding you up.  It still looks like you've installed the sounds in 'program files' - you may want to try installing the pack's sound files in a place that can be accessed by VA.  I don't know how the rights are set up on your machine, but program files may not be set up in a way that allows access.

You could maybe try just creating a command in a new profile that just plays a sound file that's not from program files.  Maybe a sound located in the documents folder for the current user account.

Also - you could try doing a system file scan, just to see if anything pops up:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

It's good to run that from time to time.  Hope some of that helps!

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 01:47:48 AM »
You are using an old version of the profile. You should find that when you installed Orion, it also auto imported the correct profile called "Event Horizon". Use that one and delete the old profile. There is no need any longer to manually import profiles into VA for HCS packs.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Arcticred

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:33:06 AM »
Hi, thanks again for the help.

TheThingIs: I put "event Horizon" into my profile window as you suggested and deleted the old profile and got this message.
09:16:53 - I'm looking for them here: C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Sounds\HCS TOOLS
09:16:53 - No Voicepacks can be detected - DO NOT USE THE PROFILE
Also the files in Event horison (when i hit the edit profile button) don't resemble any of the star citizen commands.

Gary: I tried the system file scan - no issues
I think that its a file read issue as you stated, i have tried changing the path in VA options for sounds folder: then setting the path to the file in Sounds/hcspack-Orion then the relevant sub file for the action i am asking for and still nothing.
Like i said, i am not computer literate so i don't know what else to try. I was going to purchase another pack and hope it works but i don't want to incase i have the same issues.
I'll just keep playing without the sound for now and hopefully find a workaround on google one day.

Thanks again for the help, just wish i was more computer literate so i could understand all you are asking.

EDIT: I copied all the files into a file on my desktop and then changed the path in VA options to this new folder and am getting the same messages:
09:56:20 - Error initializing sound - 'C:\Users\stuart adamson\Desktop\VoiceAttack\hcspack-Orion\Role\Overview.wav' : Audio stream did not load in a timely manner.
So i don't have a clue what the issue is or if what i tried should even work.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 02:59:57 AM »
Arcticred, can I just point out that I work for HCS. The Event Horizon is the correct Star Citizen profile. The error is looking for a .wav sound file and we switched to using .mp3 files over a year ago so I can tell immediately that you are still using the wrong profile. I would suggest wiping HCS completely and deleting all HCS profiles you have loaded. Download the latest version of your pack, run through the install instructions and reinstall from there. Many things have changed since you last used the packs which is why the profile doesn't look the way it used to.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Arcticred

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
Arcticred, can I just point out that I work for HCS. The Event Horizon is the correct Star Citizen profile. The error is looking for a .wav sound file and we switched to using .mp3 files over a year ago so I can tell immediately that you are still using the wrong profile. I would suggest wiping HCS completely and deleting all HCS profiles you have loaded. Download the latest version of your pack, run through the install instructions and reinstall from there. Many things have changed since you last used the packs which is why the profile doesn't look the way it used to.

I deleted everything this morning, including star citizen (i know this wasn't the issue) and did a fresh install on everything.
And you are correct, i loaded event horizon and it now works perfectly. Thanks again for the help, i'm a happy camper again now space trucking with William Shatner in my ear :)