Author Topic: Reducing the delay between "Wait until sound completes . . ."  (Read 1050 times)

Trelos

Reducing the delay between "Wait until sound completes . . ."
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »
I've created audio for every spoken number in English (up to a trillion, at least). I'm trying to string them together so that VoiceAttack is capable of reading off any number using these sound files. Unfortunately, whenever I string them together using the "Wait until sound completes before continuing command" option, there's a rather large delay between each sound, which causes it to become disjointed and unintelligible. Is it possible to reduce this delay between commands in order to make it sound fluid? I've attached a copy of what it sounds like currently, and what the target goal is to sound like (I'm certain the end result in VA won't be as clean as the target, but that is acceptable).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:50:18 PM by Gary »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Reducing the delay between "Wait until sound completes . . ."
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »
Are they all .wav files that you are using?  If so, my guess is that it's taking some time to load each one on the fly like that- even more time if they're being loaded from a mechanical hard drive.  Unfortunately, VA does not cache the files currently (caching probably wouldn't matter in this case - unless it was a subsequent call as VA does not pre-load sound files either).  Maybe a later version could have sound files flagged as 'pre-loaded'.

Trelos

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »
They're .wav, yeah. I'll try converting them to see if that makes a significant difference. They're loaded on a M.2 SSD, so I don't think that is an issue.

Edit: After converting all the files, it made no noticeable difference, unfortunately.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 02:21:04 PM »
If you go to Options > Audio what do you have selected as the audio output type?  You could try changing to, 'Integrated Components' if it is not already.  That *may* make a difference (not sure).

Trelos

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »
There was actually a significant difference after changing from 'Windows Media Components' to 'Integrated Components'. There's still a bit of a delay, but it's not nearly as long as it was before. It was a dramatic improvement--so much so that it's discernable now (I've attached a recording of it, if you'd like to hear the difference for yourself). Thanks for the guidance! Much appreciated, Gary. :)