Author Topic: Looking for simple H.O.T.A.S. profile  (Read 4750 times)

JLScorpio

Looking for simple H.O.T.A.S. profile
« on: April 11, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »
I haven't purchased VA but I intend to.  But not before I have a basic Elite Dangerous HOTAS profile.  All I need the profile to do is control the various panels (open/close) and some very basic flight commands (landing gear/dock/outfitting etc.).  I've searched around the site but I see no place where there are profiles to sift through.  Am I missing something?  Please advise.  Thanks.

JLScorpio

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Looking for simple H.O.T.A.S. profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 10:41:57 AM »
Some users choose to post their profiles in this forum section, but others do not.

For Elite:Dangerous, there are user-created profiles available, which may be found using a search engine.
E.G. AlterNERDtive's profiles, "Vector Sigma", or "K.I.C.S."; the latter is no longer supported by its author, these are not intended as endorsements.

For a fully-featured prebuilt profile, many users choose products from a third party: HCS Voice Packs
Those products have a number of advanced features, pre-recorded voice acting, use a custom plugin to retrieve data from the game, and are kept up-to-date by the authors.

Others may opt to build their own profile, often with the aid of user-created plugins like EDDI, to retrieve data from the game, and BindED to automatically retrieve the game's keyboard control assignments.

JLScorpio

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 01:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Pfeil I greatly appreciate the post.  I'm not one to impose on someone to do the work for me, I'm happy to learn on my own.  But I did need a point in the right direction and you've done that.  One question I have is this... I have a general understanding of how to create my own personal profile but does having a HOTAS make a difference?  In other words, can I use the buttons on my HOTAS to incorporate commands into my self-created profile?  The reason I ask is that most of the vids I've watched are folks creating profiles who are using keyboard/mouse combos but I'll be damned if I can find someone creating a profile and using buttons on their HOTAS.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 01:08:21 PM »
You can use button on a joystick device to trigger VoiceAttack commands, if that's what you mean.

For input to the game, you'll want to map keyboard keys to the features you want to activate using VoiceAttack commands.

Theoretically you could use a virtual joystick device, for which a plugin is available, to activate ingame functions, but that would be a separate device as DirectX is not designed to allow simulating button presses (this is not VoiceAttack-specific).

JLScorpio

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »
I see, so, just to clarify, If I'm making my own profile VA doesn't really care where the input command is coming from.  Whether it's the keyboard, mouse, or one of my HOTAS buttons.  Is that correct?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 01:36:06 PM »
VoiceAttack commands can be triggered using any or all of those input methods, yes.

For joystick devices, you'll want to assign them to joystick slots in the "Joystick Options" on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window first.

JLScorpio

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 02:00:31 PM »
Once again Pfeil, thank you very much for the info.  Now off to attempt to make my own profile.  I'm sure I'll make some mistakes but hey... it's the only way to learn.  Then, if I ever decide to download a premade profile I'll know how to make adjustments to what I want it for.