Author Topic: bindED in Voice Attack  (Read 4203 times)

Den

bindED in Voice Attack
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »
Hi,
Apologies if this has been covered numerous times! But I cannot, for the life of me, get bindED to work in VoiceAttack. I have searched the forums but cannot see my mistake.
Installed latest version of VA then copied complete bindED folder to VA\Apps folder.
Running VA as Admin and enabled plugin support in VA.
Only one bind file for Elite called Customs.3.0.binds. I did create a profile in VA called Elite if that makes any difference. (VA shows 2 profiles Elite & My_Profile. Selecting either show the 2 lines of bindED and blue dots)
Though I get  Plugin 'bindED Plugin v1.0' initialized. and Plugin support enabled, key binds are not imported over.
Obviously, being a newbie I suspect I have done something wrong and hoping some kind soul will be able to point me in the right direction. :)
Sorry if I've missed giving more required information.

Many thanks for any constructive help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: bindED in Voice Attack
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
Did you follow the instructions in the "Using the bindED plugin" section?

Are you running a command with a plugin action to actually load the binds?

Den

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »
Hello Pfeil

Thanks for replying. I followed the instructions to the letter. At least I think I did.
Copied bindED folder to VA\Apps folder
Enabled Plug ins in VA.
Run VA as Admin.
Have I missed something?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »
What happens when you run the command containing the "Execute an External Plugin Function" action?

Den

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
Oh sorry Pfeil

I missed seeing that part of your original post.
When I ran that command I got the screen showing the plugin. The first time I left the plugin context box blank as it said in the instructions since my Custom.binds file was in the default directory. When that did not work I tried entering the fullpath to the Custom.binds file.
The profile just shows one entry: New Command......execute external plugin.
Should I be renaming 'New Command' to something else?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Command names shouldn't matter.

After running that command, are none of the variables set?

E.G. if you run a command containing
Code: [Select]
Write [Blue] '{TXT:edLandingGearToggle}' to log
what's the log output?

Den

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
Afraid you got me there! I have no idea where or how to run that Code:[Select] command you mention.
If I manually enter a new command, eg. landing gear and the key press for it then that command works. But I dont want to enter all the commands manually. I assumed the bindED would do that.
Obviously I am doing something wrong. But what?
Thanks for your help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
The code block is what you would see in the action list of your command.
In case of that example it's a "Write a Value to the Event Log" action, writing "{TXT:edLandingGearToggle}" (the "{TXT:}" token will return the value of the "edLandingGearToggle" variable) to the log.

As described in the instructions, you need a command with an action that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
Press variable key(s) [edLandingGearToggle] and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
After you've run the command containing the "Execute an External Plugin Function" action, "edLandingGearToggle" should contain the key(s) bound to that function in your configuration file, so running the command with the variable hotkey action will press that key.

Is that what you're doing?

You need to create a command for each keypress you want to use.
bindED's only function is to retrieve the keybind information from your Elite:Dangerous config file, so that if a bind is changed ingame, that change will be reflected within VoiceAttack.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:03:22 PM by Pfeil »

Den

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
Hi Pfeil

I think I follow you. In the action list it shows a command I put in VA manually saying:

Landing gear (multipart)..............press Insert key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release.

Running this command in VA executes 'landing gear'. So VA works fine. But the bindingED plugiin is not retrrieving the bind keys.
Unless I have totally got the wrong end of the stick, I thought bindED should have retrieved the key bindings from my one and only Custom.3.0.binds file. ??

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
If you're manually setting the key to be pressed (Insert), bindED has nothing to do with that.

Quote from: https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=564.0
The bindED plugin was created to copy the keyboard key bind information for Elite: Dangerous directly into VoiceAttack keypress variables.  The variables can then be used in conjunction with key press actions within VoiceAttack (the latest betas of VoiceAttack allow for keypresses based on variables).

bindED stores key information in variables, you need to use the "Variable Keypress (Advanced)" option of the "Add/Edit a Keypress" action to retrieve that information and press the relevant key.

Den

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
Hi Pfeil

I just composed a reply only to have it disappear from the post!! >:(

Here goes again. I think I have not explained it clearly. I will try and clarify.
I have been playing Elite for some time before hearing about VA. I then bought VA and installed it. I did not want to enter all the commands in to VA and had heard about bindED doing this automatically. I installed bindED and followed all the instructions.

First I enabled plugin support in the VA settings.
Then copied the entire bindED folder to VA\Apps folder. (Default location)
I next created a New Command in VA and then clicked on Other -> Advanced -> Execute an external plugin function.
I selected the bindED plugin from the list but left the Plugin Context' box blank as I only have the one binds file.
Restarted VA expecting the plugin to have retrieved the key binds.....but nothing.
All I see in VA is 2 lines:

Plugin bindED Plugin v1.0 initialized
 Plugin support enabled.

Hope this clarifies....

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
Restarted VA expecting the plugin to have retrieved the key binds.....but nothing.

What exactly are you expecting VoiceAttack to do?

bindED does not create commands, it populates variables from which you can retrieve information in commands you manually create.

In addition, the command containing the "Execute an External Plugin Function" action must run every time VoiceAttack is started. Variable values do not persist across sessions.

Den

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
I expected the bindED plugin to retrieve the key bindings from the custom.binds file. Is that not what it is supposed to do? If not I have not understood it at all. :-\

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
It does exactly that: It retrieves the key bindings from the binds file, and stores them in VoiceAttack variables (when the "Execute an External Plugin Function" action runs, not when the plugin is loaded/initialized).

You can then enter the name of the relevant variable (E.G. "edLandingGearToggle" to toggle the landing gear) into the "Variable Keypress (Advanced)" option of the "Add/Edit a Keypress" action, which will press the key as defined in the binds file, when the command containing that action is executed.

Den

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
Thanks Pfeil

That's what I thought. So in my setup something is defintely wrong. It's not retrieving the bind keys at all.
I will try uninstalling VA completely and re-installing from scratch. From all I've read and from your help it looks like I have followed every instruction but obviously am missing something.
I know it can't be anything to do with the options settings in the game itself.....or could it?

Thanks again