Author Topic: VA doesn't initially recognize manual change to default recording device  (Read 1242 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Using VA's native "change recording device" command causes both VA and Windows to immediately recognize the corresponding device change (no VA restart required). So far so good.

However, I noticed that if VA v1.7.2 is running and I manually change the default recording device in the Windows Sound panel, VA does not recognize the device change until VA is restarted. By contrast if I manually change the default playback device in the Sound panel, VA DOES recognize the change immediately (sounds played through VA will change their output destination without having to restart VA).

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a limitation of what is possible behind the scenes. But I figured I'd mention it. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
I believe this has now been answered:

That is a known situation, actually.

The instance of Windows' speech engine that spins up when you launch VA does not poll to see if that device has been changed through Control Panel, nor does it respond to any event that Windows may have for that device changing/changed (this is the speech engine, outside of VA's control).  Also, there is no active thread within VoiceAttack that polls the device settings, as that is a fairly, 'edge case' event (that is, the device that the speech engine is using is suddenly changed to something else is not something that happens a lot).

If you do need to change the recording device through Control Panel, you'll need to reset the Windows speech engine instance within VoiceAttack.  If you have one of the later betas, you can click on the icon in the top-left corner of VA's main screen and select, 'Reset Speech Engine'

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Thanks for making that explanation connection!