Author Topic: Problem with VA and HCS and PTT key  (Read 1604 times)

dazzys

Problem with VA and HCS and PTT key
« on: August 13, 2018, 04:46:38 AM »
Hi All,

I have this very annoying problem when using VA with HCS Voicepacks in Elite Dangeours. I have configured my left shift key as a PTT (push to talk). It's configured in such a way as VA should only listen to me whilst the PTT key is held down and should stop listening to me when I release. When I start everything up it works well, sometimes I have to pop out of the game into Chrome (I use the Windows key for this) and usually within about 20 minutes either VA stops listening to me completely or she listens to me without me having to hold the PTT key down or as in last night, VA closed down by itself (no errors).

What am I doing wrong guys?

Cheers
Daz

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Problem with VA and HCS and PTT key
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:00:45 AM »
There is probably a command within your profiles that is also using the shift key, and there may be situations where the key ends up in a constantly-pressed state.  Although VA is smart enough to know the difference between keys that it is, 'pressing' and keys that the user are pressing, there could be some kind of conflict there when it's all happening at the same time.  I would try switching to a less commonly used keyboard key like F1, F2, F3, etc., or a key that you know is not being used by Elite to do your PTT.

In regards to the error, you'll want to look in your VoiceAttack installation directory and see if there is a file called, 'VoiceAttackFault.txt'.  If you find that file and the date is recent, you'll want to post it here so folks can help you fix your system so that VA will run.  If you do not have that file available, you'll want to try disabling plugins as it's likely you've got something up with one of them.  To do that, go to Options > General > Plugin manager and then deselect all the plugins.  Try adding them back one by one to see if one is the culprit.

Hope that helps!

Asimov

Re: Problem with VA and HCS and PTT key
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 02:04:15 AM »
There is probably a command within your profiles that is also using the shift key, and there may be situations where the key ends up in a constantly-pressed state.  Although VA is smart enough to know the difference between keys that it is, 'pressing' and keys that the user are pressing, there could be some kind of conflict there when it's all happening at the same time.  I would try switching to a less commonly used keyboard key like F1, F2, F3, etc., or a key that you know is not being used by Elite to do your PTT.

In regards to the error, you'll want to look in your VoiceAttack installation directory and see if there is a file called, 'VoiceAttackFault.txt'.  If you find that file and the date is recent, you'll want to post it here so folks can help you fix your system so that VA will run.  If you do not have that file available, you'll want to try disabling plugins as it's likely you've got something up with one of them.  To do that, go to Options > General > Plugin manager and then deselect all the plugins.  Try adding them back one by one to see if one is the culprit.

Hope that helps!
Hello, I'm attaching to this thread because I'm also experiencing this same issue on my configuration. The biggest difference in my case is that my PTT key is a joystick button, and I'm sure that no VA command nor other application is using that button during gameplay, but I still end up with the exact same behavior described by dazzys.
When I end up like this the only way I found to fix is to restart VA, but the whole thing is making VA very annoying and hard to use.

I will take a look ASAP for the logfile, as for the plugins I'm using default installation and I actually don't know if some plugins are included (and active) by default, will check that as well. Meantime, any suggestion is appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:52:13 AM by Asimov »