Author Topic: Voice Attack recognizing mic input, but not even trying to guess the words.  (Read 2905 times)

kaio

I just installed VA today, but it certainly was not plug-and-play like the tutorials I followed.

After installing everything and configuring text-to-speech and training in Windows, VA still does nothing. In the prompt box where it normally guesstimates what you say, nothing shows up at all for me, though the little mic volume pick up bar is moving indicating that it hears me.

What is the issue?

I do not have Sound Sonic installed. The microphone I am using is a Blue Snowball.

!!! SOLVED !!! - To fix the issue, I went to VA Settings > General > Reset Defaults. After comparing the reset settings with the new settings, it seems that the issue was that in the 'System / Advanced' page, "Use Installed Speech Platform Speech Engines" was selected, when I selected "Use Built-In SAPI Speech Engines (Recommended)", the issue went away.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:17:40 PM by kaio »

Gary

• Administrator
HI, kaio.

On your options screen, recognition tab, what do you have listed at the bottom as your Windows Speech Recording Device?

kaio

The device selected is the Blue Snowball.

Gary

• Administrator
That was just a quick sanity check to make sure you didn't have a webcam or some other nearby mic selected - happens quite a bit.

Normally, it all just works out of the box, but it looks like you've got a sound issue somewhere in your setup.  I'll have to send you to this thread:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=1635.0   Start at the top with, 'VoiceAttack does not listen to what I am saying at all'.  It's a rather long read, but has helped a lot.

kaio

Ok, I tried literally every option there, but still have the issue.

Worth noting, I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface, I tried disabling the focusrite in the sound settings, but that did not fix it. Could this interface be the issue?

I feel like the issue is probably VA-side, like something in the settings, cause everything else seems to work fine. I'll share a screenshot. Link: https://imgur.com/a/6znqsqo

And also worth noting, text-to-speech works fine with Microsoft Word, I spoke/typed in a Word file and all worked fine, so it's just VA not doing anything with the audio it receives.

Gary

• Administrator
The default settings for VA will cover almost all situations.  Did you try disabling acoustic echo cancellation?  That's sometimes a big one.  If none of this is working for you, there is some type of disconnect in your chain from your mic to the Windows speech engine instance.  I know you're having some level of success using other applications with your microphone/software chain, but there is something on your system that is just not agreeing with Windows' instantiated speech engine.  I'm not familiar with the software that you are talking about, but that's probably a good place to start looking as that doesn't seem like a common package.  Something else to look at doing is uninstalling VA and reinstalling to rule out something getting borked up during installation.  Also, you may need to try a different mic just as a matter of process.  If none of this does not work, I would message support@voiceattack.com and request a refund (or get a refund through Steam if that's where you had purchased), as this is going to end up being a system issue that I'm not going to be able resolve for you, unfortunately :(  I would then get the trial version and mess with that until you can narrow down and/or resolve the issue.