Author Topic: Field Activation Without Mouse Click  (Read 3008 times)

healerf18

Field Activation Without Mouse Click
« on: March 23, 2019, 05:20:40 PM »
Hi everyone, I use VoiceAttack for Elite Dangerous and love it.  Just like having a co-pilot.  I've built a macro that will copy highlighted text from a webpage to the clipboard (e.g. a star system I need to travel to) with a voice command, toggle back to the ED window, maximize it, and navigate to the navigation page in the Galaxy Map.  However, I can't figure out how to activate the cursor in the search window without a mouse click so that I can paste in the target system.  I know it can be done because Singularity does it when you ask to plot a course to an engineer. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Re: Field Activation Without Mouse Click
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »
So basically you need a way to activate a particular field on the ED navigation system UI without employing a mouse click directly on that field?

I have limited knowledge about ED, but why do you want to avoid the mouse click?

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »
You can use UI Navigation/Tab swapping and UI select via keyboard controls.

healerf18

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
@Exergist I’m trying to avoid using the keyboard while in VR. Can’t avoid it completely but every bit helps. Thanks for replying!

healerf18

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »
@Gangrel, can you provide a bit more detail? I’m fairly new to building macros and using VoiceAttack. Thanks!

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
I’m trying to avoid using the keyboard while in VR

Sending "virtual" keyboard input is one of VA's core functions. You can use the 'press a key' action to accomplish this.

However you may need to get creative about the type/ordering of key presses. For example (not related to ED), if you want to have a command that automatically navigates to a sub-menu you may have to provide different input depending on how the app/game works. If the main menu always starts with a particular sub-menu highlighted and your sub-menu of interest is 5 tab-presses away then making a command that 1.) opens the main menu; 2.) presses tab 5 times might work. However if the game/app "remembers" the last sub-menu you had open then the number of tab-presses will depend on the position of the sub-menu of interest relative to the starting sub-menu. Also depending on your hardware the app/game you may need to add some pauses between key presses.

Long story short if you can do it with a keyboard you can do it with VA, but the complexity of the VA logic required will depend on how the app/game is set up and what you are trying to accomplish. HTH