Author Topic: VoiceAttack Not Working in Game 'Shadow of War'  (Read 1915 times)

cousinit99

VoiceAttack Not Working in Game 'Shadow of War'
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »
This is for Gary if he has a minute, or someone else with low-level knowledge of VA. 

I have read the FAQ post located here: https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=53.0.

I don't think any of those conditions are relevant to this scenario, though.  Voiceattack is running elevated, all repeating mouse and keypress commands are capped at about 7Hz, and Active Window is globally set.

The problem here is that Voiceattack doesn't register any commands when the game window is active, and only when the game window is active.  If I alt-tab back to a different window, I can see in the command history that the commands begin to register as expected.  I've tried running the game borderless instead of exclusive full-screen, but this changes nothing.

If I switch to another window, activate a repeating key command, and then switch back to the game window, the command continues to run in-game, but in order to stop the command I have to switch to another window again, because not even the VA Stop All Commands hotkey will register in-game.

I've searched around for this, but I haven't been able to find much information one way or the other.  I really get the feeling that the game executable is interfering or competing (perhaps deliberately) with whatever input hook VA uses in order to function.

Does this sound plausible to you?  Are there other programs you've found that don't allow VA to function because of some form of hook hijacking or mitigation?

Assuming this isn't merely coincidental or unintentional—and in this case it certainly doesn't come across as such—it really irritates me when development studios dementedly think they have the right to interfere with or impede the function of other programs that may or may not be running on someone else's digital property.  That kind of behavior is subversive, dirty, and shady.

I'd like to get your thoughts on this when you have a moment.  Thanks
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:12:25 PM by cousinit99 »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VoiceAttack Not Working in Game 'Shadow of War'
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
Have you tried starting VoiceAttack after the game starts?

I did have this issue with a different game(using a different engine), and the only way to hook the keyboard was to start VoiceAttack while the game was already running.

cousinit99

Re: VoiceAttack Not Working in Game 'Shadow of War'
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »
I sure have.  Just tried again to be double-sure.  Unfortunately, no change.  None of the profile commands or the global Stop All Commands hotkey are registered.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:10:16 PM by cousinit99 »