Author Topic: [v1.7.2.29] "When I press keys" dialog colors for disabled controls are odd  (Read 2464 times)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
The "Command Shortcut" window that appears if the "When I press keys" option for a command is first checked, or the "..." button clicked had the "Use variable hotkey (Advanced)" option added; When this option is checked, the text within the key icons actually gets darker(I.E. they become less gray when grayed out).

What I assume to be the base color(anti-aliasing adds others) changes from #696969 to #555555.

The "clear" link also becomes visible when this occurs, even is it wasn't before(if no keys had been selected/pressed).

This was introduced with v1.7.2.26, when the feature was added.

I feel it would be clearer that the buttons are disabled, if the text becomes lighter gray instead, and if the "Press Key" button also swaps to the dark gray image state(which is already used if only modifier key(s) are selected).

Obviously this is a minor major issue, meaning it will not matter at all for hold up the next release, so it isn't that important must be fixed immediately.

EDIT: Buttons are now a darker color in v1.7.3.1, making it apparent they're disabled.

However, "Clear" still appears when "Variable Keypress (Advanced)" is checked, even if no keys were selected.

EDIT#2: "Clear" still appears in v1.7.5.8

EDIT#3: "Clear" still appears in v1.8.3.21

EDIT#4: "Clear" still appears in v1.8.3.22
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:12:25 PM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
Hmmm... I'm not able to see what you are seeing.  I pulled up version 1.7.2.11 and compared it to v1.7.2.29 and they look identical on this monitor with various options checked.  Do you have a screenshot, by chance?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
It's subtle(in fact I'd make it much lighter than #696969, like #a0a0a0 as used for "Clear", to make it more obvious that the control is disabled), but when you check and uncheck the "Use variable hotkey (Advanced)" option and keep an eye on the text, the difference is noticeable on my system.

Screenshots(Bottom squares are solid #696969 and #555555, respectively):

Is your monitor connected via HDMI? If so, check out these instructions(ignore the Rift-specific stuff) and be prepared to be both amazed(at what a difference it makes) and angry(at Nvidia for messing up the settings).

If this gradient isn't completely smooth, you may not see it on your monitor either.

Gary

• Administrator
I could fix it by just throwing a higher level of contrast, I'm guessing (not at my computer any more).

I couldn't tell if this was or was not a complete bust from your first message.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
I couldn't tell if this was or was not a complete bust from your first message.
?

The lack of difference is pretty much my point anyways, as I don't think it's quite clear visually that those buttons are in fact disabled.

Gary

• Administrator
Obviously this is a minor major issue, meaning it will not matter at all for hold up the next release, so it isn't that important must be fixed immediately.

I wasn't sure if you were just kidding or if this what was out there was unusable (and holding off releae would be advised).

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
I debated which one to cross out, but it was intended sarcastically.

It's a very nitpicky thing that probably doesn't bother most people, and I wanted to acknowledge that ahead of time.

Gary

• Administrator
I debated which one to cross out, but it was intended sarcastically.

I was hoping so ;)

Gary

• Administrator
I'm not able to find these buttons - I've searched the entire program and I'm still not able to find them.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled and also formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows and installed VoiceAttack - no luck.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM