Author Topic: VA stops responding after 30 mins  (Read 6476 times)

Grenge

VA stops responding after 30 mins
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
Hi,
I've had this problem straight after updating to V1.6.7 (I'm currently on V1.6.9 still same problem), I'm also using HCS Voicepack Eli for Elite Dangerous.
I start up VA then ED and everything goes fine for approx 30 mins, then I will say a command and no response. I then close VA and reopen it and all is fine for about another 30 mins then another restart.

I have also noticed recently that when I speak a command and get no response, I will repeat it just in case it didn't hear properly. When I go and check VA it has the commands it didn't recognize and one command will be 2 or 3 times that I said the command.
Examples,
"Explorer jump" said twice results in "If exploring show off her if she K"
"Retract Landing Gear" twice is "If request off  request taking off half"
"Departure Handover" twice is "If departure hand over half departure hand over"

When shutting down and restarting VA it seems to clear the problem for a while, but it does get a bit annoying in the middle of combat.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling both VA and HCS Eli with no help.

Another error message I noticed in VA as I closed it (I didn't get to read it closely as I was to quick closing the window) There was a red dot in the VA window with some error about a plugin needed to be V2 but it was only V1. When I start VA it tells me I have 'HCS Voice Packs - Elite Dangerous Journal Reader V1.0 - for VA v1.5.14+' and 'bindED Plugin v1.0'

Thanks
Grenge

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA stops responding after 30 mins
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »
I used to have this issue, but what helped with my setup is checking the "Disable Adaptive Recognition (useful for noisy environments)" option.

Click , click the "Recognition" tab, and check the relevant checkbox(Click "OK" to save).

You may also want to train up a new speech profile, in case the current one actually lost accuracy over time.

For HCS Voice Packs specific matters, I'd recommend their support forums, as they'll be on top of which versions they have deployed.

Grenge

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 09:11:52 PM »
I'll give that a try. I didn't think that with it being the middle of summer over here in Australia, I have to take the side off my noisy PC to stop it overheating, as well as having a few fans on for airflow, which I didn't need to use a few months ago.

iceblast

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »
I have a issue with a mouse command that just stops working randomly. I found that if you switch profiles and switch back, it's like closing and opening VA. So, I made a command that switches to a dummy profile, and that profile switches back to the main the moment it loads. All happens in a second, and my mouse command is back to working, for however long it will run.

I don't know if that will work for you or not, but if it does, you can run the command while in ED without closing and reopening VA. Maybe set it to a timer, that swaps profiles every 20mins or something.

Hope that helps...

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
If you find it's necessary to reload a profile/the speech engine, you may want to try the latest beta:

Quote from: VoiceAttack Beta v1.6.9.3 Changelog
Added, 'Reset the Active Profile' action to reload the current profile.
The profile will be reloaded, which means that any profile-scoped variables (variables prefixed with ONE '>') will be cleared. Persistent profile variables (variables prefixed with '>>') will be retained.
All commands will be reloaded and any tokenized, 'when i say' phrases will be reevaluated.
The speech engine will also be reloaded(of course), and any executing commands will be stopped.
As you can see, this is whatever a, 'change profile' action does, just without actually changing.

Though, this is is more of a brute-force solution within this context; If something stops working, it's better in the long term to look for the root cause and actually fix it, if possible.

iceblast

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
That's right, the new beta did do that. Just changed the way I reset VA for that command.

rscaper1070

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
I'm having this problem too. It happens with my Skyrim profile and it doesn't have any voice commands, just controller inputs. After a while it just stops.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »
@Grenge

The error is telling you to update the plugin. Re-download your pack, uninstall it and the plugins and install again. You'll be up to date then.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:18 AM »
I'm having this problem too. It happens with my Skyrim profile and it doesn't have any voice commands, just controller inputs. After a while it just stops.

What stops exactly? Does VoiceAttack freeze up? Does it just stop responding to button presses, but the interface keeps working?

rscaper1070

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »
Everything stops working and I have to close VA and restart it to get it to work again. Changing profiles doesn't do anything.

Pretty much what the OP described.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »
Does this stopping behavior only happen while you're playing ED, or can you get it to occur in other applications or after letting VA sit idle?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Has anybody actually tried this, as Pfeil indicated earlier (ignore the title):  http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=64.0

In addition, I would check the boxes labeled, 'Disable adaptive recognition' AND 'Disable acoustic echo cancellation' on the options>recognition tab.

Then, try disabling plugins and any startup commands in profiles. 

Try disabling joysticks.

Make sure you are not running any third-party audio apps that may be interfering with the audio channel.

Bill1949

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »
Everything stops working and I have to close VA and restart it to get it to work again. Changing profiles doesn't do anything.

Pretty much what the OP described.

Is there an answer to  rscapers post ('cos this is exactly what I get too).
It's like VA just goes into a daydream & just ignores me. It Just suddenly tsops responding to my 'listen' button, them afetr a while it responds to the button but fails to respond to voice-commands.....

The important point here is that closing VA & re-starting it generally seems to cure the issue - the issue often occuring after about 30 mins of use of VA - it's like a cache got full up or something & closing & re-starting VA clears it..

I love VA & wouldn't want to be without it - but it's so frustrating that it fairly predictably fails in this way - often, this happens when you REALLY need it to work, in the thick of battle.

Is there any answer that covers all these points?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
Have you tried anything from my last post, Bill?

iceblast

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
Update on my problem.

I was mainly having a problem with one command that would stop working randomly, I created a command to reset VA, to quickly solve the problem, I no longer have this problem though. Turns out, something in the command was causing the problem. I don't know what it was, it worked perfectly, till VA just stop listening to it, I think I just might have had to many things happening in one command.

I know VA a lot better then when I created that command, and created it differently, so it didn't have as much to do. After that, I haven't had the problem since, but this was some time ago.

VA has been working great for me. :)