Author Topic: Saitek Mode Switch - Position Detection  (Read 2075 times)

Djuwanna

Saitek Mode Switch - Position Detection
« on: July 15, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
I have several Saitek joysticks (X52 Pro, X56 Rhino) and there is a "mode" switch which allows the programming software that comes with the joystick to respec the functions of the buttons/switches on the joysticks based on the mode position (Mode 1/2/3).

Is there a way to detect which "Mode" position the switch is in within VoiceAttack?  I'd like to use VA to respec the functions instead.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Saitek Mode Switch - Position Detection
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
I know that without the driver software, the X52 Pro at least reports the mode switch as three buttons, one of which will be held down depending on the selected mode.

If this is still true with the driver installed, you could map the stick to VoiceAttack and read the state of those buttons to determine the active mode.

Otherwise, if there's no other passive way to retrieve the state, you may need to map the mode switch to press a keyboard button(It's been a long time since I used Saitek's mapping software, but I think that's possible), and have VoiceAttack check the state of that.

If you can pick between held down or single press, the former should mean VoiceAttack can read the state at any time, but the keypress will likely be picked up by other software(Saitek uses a keyboard driver for keypresses, so you might even see repeating letters in text input fields), whereas the latter means VoiceAttack would have to be running when you turn the dial so it can pick up the keypress and react accordingly.

I do recall Saitek has an SDK, but that's likely overkill for this(and I'm not sure if it's even available anymore, after the logitech takeover).