Author Topic: Using VA with multiple Windows users  (Read 3278 times)

shaunpond

Using VA with multiple Windows users
« on: June 03, 2018, 05:50:00 AM »
I've got a friend that uses my computer when he visits. He has his own account in Windows, but he always picks up my VA settings when playing Elite:Dangerous. We have both bought our own copies of VA, and also separate HCS voicepacks, but I don't want him using my VA profies, and vice-versa. Any ideas? We're not trying to have 2 instances running the same time, just be able to keep them separate.

P.S. Currently VA won't work for him, 'cos it thinks his ship,is docked, and I suspect it's reading my saved game state!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Using VA with multiple Windows users
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:49:51 AM »
VoiceAttack settings and profiles are stored in user-specific directories, so each user should have their own set.

Are the settings/profiles identical for both users(E.G. if you create a new profile for one, does the other see it)?

I'm wondering if it's the HCS plugin loading the same data for both here(If it uses files from the game, and those files aren't user-specific, that could also contribute).

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »
the HCS profile are not designed for multiple users. Although the variables are profile specific so you should be able to load a second copy of Singularity and switch between as long as you restart VA after the switch so that variables don't pass from one profile to the other. With Elite and the game state, as long as you start VA first then when you log into the game the correct settings will be applied.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

shaunpond

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
it seems to be that when he starts VA, he has everything set up the way I left it - he can see and use the extra commands that I've added, for example. Odd, also that the game status thinks that he's docked when in space, could it be a permissions issue? VA is trying to access my files, it appears

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »
Are you launching VoiceAttack with admin rights? Do both accounts have admin rights, or does one enter the credentials of the other in the UAC prompt?

For VoiceAttack itself, you can manually specify the profile directory:
Quote from: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf page 122
-datadir “Directory Path” Allows you to indicate the directory of VoiceAttack’s data file (VoiceAttack.dat) and its associated backups.
If the VoiceAttack.dat file does not exist in the indicated directory when a profile has been updated, a new VoiceAttack.dat will be created. 
Note that double quotes are only necessary if your profile name has spaces in it.
This does not affect the running instance.
Example: -datadir “C:\Users\MrAwesome\Desktop\MyData” will look for the VoiceAttack.dat file in the “C:\Users\MrAwesome\Desktop\MyData” directory.

However, this is only a partial workaround; Application-wide settings would still be shared.

shaunpond

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »
the second user is entering my credentials at the UAC prompt... d'oh! Since I trust him with my password, I might as well make him  a local admin anyway!Thanks for the heads0up on the command-line option, I'll try that if necessary... will report back, but the next time we'll be trying this will be after Lavecon! :)