Author Topic: [v1.7.0.7] Windows Speech Recording Device volume doesn't stick after restarting  (Read 2270 times)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
The value of the new "Volume" slider for the "Windows Speech Recording Device" seems to only apply to the running instance of the speech recognition engine; As soon as VoiceAttack is restarted, the volume reverts to the training value.

As an aside, if VoiceAttack is not running as administrator, the volume will not change at all(Clicking "OK" doesn't alter it, and upon re-opening the options window the current volume is displayed again, it pretty much fails silently).

EDIT: Rendered irrelevant:
v1.7.0.9

-  Design Change

-  Removed the, 'Set Speech Recording Device Volume on Startup' slider introduced in prior beta.
       It was serving as a mask to the real underlying problem of having your mic volume automatically
       adjusted by the speech engine to compensate for a less-than-optimal speech training session.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:46:36 PM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
Hmmm.  I'm not running as an admin and it's sticking.  I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

It may be that the problem is that the mic is being reset by your system when the speech engine is started (when VA starts).  Since this value is only set at the point of the submit (and not every time that VA is launched), it may be necessary to make it where it is maintained and set by VA.  Possibly an option? 

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
It has come up in the past, where the volume that had been automatically set in training was not the desired volume, so having VoiceAttack set it after the speech engine starts would likely be useful(More flexible than adjusting it using the training process at least).

I have advised people to use a command that sets microphone volume when VoiceAttack starts to achieve the same effect, but having it built-in would make it profile-independent, and generally more convenient.

Gary

• Administrator
Ok, then.  I'll take it that route.