Author Topic: [Solved] VoiceAttack 1.6 and 1.7 - WIN10 - Profile selection not working  (Read 2530 times)

Shabazza

I had V1.6 and when starting it today, the "Profil" drop down box did no longer effectively change the profile.
It's always the "Default Profile at start" which is enabled.
When I select another profile and click "Edit", the default profiles edit page is shown instead.
Not the selected profile ones.
If I crerate a new profile, this profile gets selcted. But then I still can't select any other profile.
Update to V1.7 didnt solve the issue.
Re-INstalling VoiceAttack didn't resolve the issue.
I'm not sure if this was maybe cause by some Win 10 update, as I didn't use VoiceAttack for a couple of weeks.
But it's the only thing that changed on my system.

So my workaround is to change the "Load profile at startup" to the wanted profile and re-start VA.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:37:05 PM by Shabazza »

Gary

• Administrator
Hi, there.

What you are experiencing is atypical and does not normally occur with that rather basic control.  Unless this is a new, widespread Windows issue and you are the first to report the problem, it's going to be an issue somewhere in the components of your Windows installation.  You'll want to scan your system files to see if there is anything that can be detected:  https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

If that yields no fix, you'll want to try VoiceAttack on another Windows installation.

Do you happen to have automatic profile switching turned on in your Options > General tab?  Just thought I'd throw that out there, too.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:53:23 AM by Gary »

Shabazza

No, I don't use automatic profile switching.
I highly suspect some more or less recent Win10 update. But it's hard to tell.
My virus scanner didn't find anything suspicious. Also, it's always active.

If it's an update issue with Win 10 (or some .NET update maybe???) , I should probably not be the only one to have this problem.
I mean, I have that workaround, but I will continue trying to solve this, as it's pretty annoying.

UPDATE:
Solved it! (kinda)
I started the program explicitly as "Administrator" and BOOM! Profile switching started to work.
The funny (or weird) part is: I already told Windowes to always start this program as Administrator shortly after installing it. But Windows somehow must have "forgotton" this, despite the fact that the option was still ticked in the "Compatibility" tab of the .exe file preference.
So, explicitly starting it as admin once, somehow fixed it. I can now sart it normally via my existing start menu link and it still works.
Maybe this is helpful for other who may expierience this.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:36:18 PM by Shabazza »