Author Topic: WindowExists question  (Read 3267 times)

MalcomR

WindowExists question
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »
I am trying to use WindowExists to check for the presence of some Windows.  It appears that it does not work on windows minimized to the task bar even though they show up in the Task Manager list.  Is that true and if so how do I check to see if a window is running when minimized?

I've also noted that WindowExists seems picky about the type of windows.  I have a Thrustmaster Target GUI window (named TARGET GUI) that has no border and only a minimize button and even when restored and visible the command will not pick up that the window is running?

And finally is there a way to check for processes that are running short of writing a plugin?  Someday I will write some but not now.

MalcomR

Re: WindowExists question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
Well I found a workaround in the pre release with ProcessExists.  I'm glad to see more process functions being added as the windows functions sometimes don't work because of what the programmer did with the window and what windows does.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 02:20:56 PM »
When you say "minimized to task bar" are you referring to having the window minimize to the system tray? As I discussed in this post VoiceAttack has trouble finding its own window when it is set to minimize to the system tray. So it's not surprising that VA would also have difficulty finding windows for other software that are minimized to tray.

Indeed the new ProcessExists token is quite handy :)

MalcomR

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
I'm trying to minimize to the task bar, not the tray.  This is a window generated by running the Thrustmaster control software, TargetGUI, and passing it the argument of a script file I wrote.  This is not a file created  by the GUI interface but by using the TM script editor.  The window has no border and only one button for minimize and it seems to not want to minimize unless I do it by hand.  I suspect TM did something wacky with their window as they aren't the greatest for software.

MalcomR

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »
I'm sure the issue with minimizing the TM window is because TM messed things up.  I have other programs in the same command that I minimize with no issues.