Author Topic: Windows 10 "Desktop" Profile Switching  (Read 4427 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Windows 10 "Desktop" Profile Switching
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »
The Help Document outlines that 'Program Manger' can be used as the text value for the "enable profile switching for the following windows" option so that any time the user activates the desktop the corresponding profile will be activated. IIRC this works fine for Windows 7.

However on my Windows 10 PC this does not work and the profile never switches. VoiceAttack also does not show the "window title" for the desktop (either automatically through the options or via {WINDOWTITLEUNDERMOUSE}) on my Windows 10 PC.

How do I achieve desktop profile switching for Windows 10? (apologies if this has already been asked somewhere)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Re: Windows 10 "Desktop" Profile Switching
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
I tried various blank window title formats with no luck. I then found that entering just the wildcard "*" (no quotes) will provide switching for the desktop and every window that is not already associated with another profile's auto switching. So for example if one profile switches by * and another by "notepad" the desktop and all windows except those with the title "notepad" will trigger the * profile.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the W10 desktop's blank title initiate a profile switch (besides using *)?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »
I added profile switching with Windows 10, and it still seems to work ok for me (tried it just now).  I have to actually click on the desktop to change focus.  Also, it's, 'Program Manager' and not, 'Program Manger' if that makes any difference.

I also get, 'Program Manager' when I write {ACTIVEWINDOWTITLE} after the desktop is clicked.  Make sure you're not running something like TeamViewer, as that can cause issues.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:37:35 PM by Gary »

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:13:33 PM »
Gary I did some testing on my Windows 10 (v1709) PC and here's what I've found so far:
  • After activating the option to have VA output the active window title automatically I see that no output appears after clicking on the desktop. Clicking on a folder or app shows the expected title.
  • Writing {ACTIVEWINDOWTITLE} -- {ACTIVEWINDOWPROCESSNAME} to the log and running it on a folder or the desktop generates "-- explorer"...so it looks like for this case {ACTIVEWINDOWTITLE} is returning nothing.
  • If I activate the "launch folder windows in a separate process" option per your suggestion here the {ACTIVEWINDOWTITLE} -- {ACTIVEWINDOWPROCESSNAME} now outputs the folder name and "explorer" as expected ("This PC -- explorer" for example), but the desktop output remains the same "-- explorer."
  • Switching back and forth between folders does not generate new automatic title output in the event log. However there's no issue with outputting the title if I select Folder1 ==> VoiceAttack ==> Folder2
  • I deactivated all auto profile switching except for a single test profile and set the switch text to "Program Manager," but switching still doesn't occur.
I'm stumped, any further ideas?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
I was thinking it maybe something to do with the, 'display full path in title bar' option (folder options again), but that doesn't seem to do what you are describing here.  Possibly some other option you've set somewhere?  Do you have any shell apps running that may affect things?

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »
'display full path in title bar' option
I'll check that out and see what happens.

Do you have any shell apps running that may affect things?
I don't think so (not even sure I know what you mean by that).

Ugh I'd like to not resort to reinstalling VA or (bigger ugh) Windows to perform further troubleshooting. Any other suggestions?

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
Well I enabled the option to 'display full path in title bar' and VA still didn't output different window titles when switching back and forth between two different folders.

Has anyone else in the community seen this issue?

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:09:08 AM »
Wanted to update this comment. Not sure if I messed up something previously or if the new interface on v1.6.9.25 fixed the problem, but enabling the "display the full path in the title bar" folder option made it so that VA would properly identify folders based on their path. On my version of Windows 10 this option is disabled by default.