Author Topic: Project Cars 2  (Read 5427 times)

JonnyLopez

Project Cars 2
« on: March 11, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Hi all,

I bought voice attack just over 1 year ago and I set it up and used it perfectly in IRacing with my occulus rift.
I haven't used voice attack since then but the other day I bought Project Cars 2 but I can't get VA to work.
I also tried it with Raceroom Racing but still no joy. I know i'm setting it up right because I set it up for Escape From Tarkov and it works fine but it's really the racing sims I want to use it for. I'm hoping someone on here has it working with PC2 and maybe they can send me there profile to see if that works. Any help much appreciated.

Jonny

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Project Cars 2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:59:08 AM »
On my machine, VoiceAttack works fine with Project Cars 2, at least when I tried it a month or two ago; Also combined with Oculus Rift.

The profile I used does have many keys remapped, so it's likely not much use to you, but it required nothing special to get it working(It just sends keypresses with my default hold-down time of 0.06 seconds).

One thing you may want to set up is command targeting, as I do recall looking through the nose gap to click the PCars2 window so it had focus(meaning keypresses would be sent to it).

Have you had a look at this topic?

JonnyLopez

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:26:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply Pfeil,

Yes I do run VA as administrator and I have tried both the active window and sending it to PC2 when it is open (if that is what you mean by command targeting).
I will look at the time the key press is down and adjust that to see if it will help.

I did use a key press of 0.5 seconds for the 3 games I mentioned and only EFT works fine.
The one thing about EFT and IRacing (the games that worked with VA) that are different from PC2 and RR is they are strictly online multiplayer. Just a thought but would that have anything to do with my problem?

Thanks again for your reply

JonnyLopez

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
I get this message when I open up voice attack,

11:17:33 - Sonic Studio app detected.  This may cause conflicts with VoiceAttack.  This warning can be turned off via the Options screen.

Could this be my problem?
I have looked in my uninstall programs but Sonic Studio is not in the list.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
I have tried both the active window and sending it to PC2 when it is open (if that is what you mean by command targeting).
It is.

11:17:33 - Sonic Studio app detected.  This may cause conflicts with VoiceAttack.  This warning can be turned off via the Options screen.

Could this be my problem?
I have looked in my uninstall programs but Sonic Studio is not in the list.
Sonic Studio is an ASUS product, apparently, so it may be integrated into the audio driver's control panel. Do you have any aftermarket sound settings, likely running in the system tray?

JonnyLopez

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
Thanks again for the reply.

after some checking on the internet I eventually unchecked a couple of items on the taskbar to do with asus ROG and it has stopped the error message coming up in VA.

some success. I changed my key press time to 0.06 as you suggested and I am getting the commands to work now in both PC2 and RR although not all the time. I think I need to train the voice recognition software more or try to use words that can be recognized easier. Or learn to speak clearer. My Scottish accent might be the problem.
Anyway i'm getting there BUT,

unfortunately both games don't recognize button commands from my wheel Thrustmaster T300RS.
Voice Attack recognizes it ok and I am using just the button command separate from the key press meaning
I delete the key press command before selecting a button as I'm assuming they don't work together.
RR matches the button command but PC2 sees button 2 on my wheel as button 1 etc, in the control setup page.
each value is 1 less than the actual button on my wheel.

If I can get the commands to work consistently then I can set them all as key press but any help on the wheel would be great.

Thanks

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
both games don't recognize button commands from my wheel Thrustmaster T300RS.

Voice Attack recognizes it ok and I am using just the button command separate from the key press meaning
I delete the key press command before selecting a button as I'm assuming they don't work together.

RR matches the button command but PC2 sees button 2 on my wheel as button 1 etc, in the control setup page.
each value is 1 less than the actual button on my wheel.

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't recognize button commands from my wheel", as both games should recognize button presses perfectly.

However, if you're looking to have VoiceAttack press any of those controls ingame, you need to map them to keyboard keys(either exclusively, or as a secondary mapping if the game supports it, which PCars2 does not).
VoiceAttack cannot virtually press joystick buttons, it can only detect when they are physically pressed(this isn't a VoiceAttack limitation really, as the only way to virtually press joystick buttons is to either have a special driver that's explicitly designed to allow for both, or to use a "fake joystick" driver).

You'll likely want to have it setup that buttons on your wheel trigger VoiceAttack commands, which then in turn send keyboard keypresses to the game. This is the most flexible option.

The discrepancy in button IDs is not uncommon, one is using zero-based IDs(the first button is reported as ID 0, the second as ID 1, and so on), whereas the other is using one-based IDs(the first button is ID 1, the second ID 2, and so on). I believe the latter is actually in line with the DirectInput spec(as it is what the Windows control panel also uses, and usually matches any physical marking on the controller).

Unfortunately it's a choice the developer made, so all you can do is mentally add one to each button ID, as you're doing.

JonnyLopez

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
you said,
You'll likely want to have it setup that buttons on your wheel trigger VoiceAttack commands, which then in turn send keyboard key presses to the game. This is the most flexible option.

Does that mean I use a voice command in VA and trigger it to a button my wheel and also link it to a key press within the same command? when I said both games don't recognize button commands from my wheel. I meant they didn't trigger the commands I had linked to the buttons on my wheel but they did trigger separate commands I linked to a key press on the keyboard. When I used VA before with IRacing I think it was all key press commands I used and it worked fine without any problems so I never spent much time with VA. It's still pretty new to me but thanks for the reply and I will try to learn a bit more about VA.

Cheers

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
you said,
You'll likely want to have it setup that buttons on your wheel trigger VoiceAttack commands, which then in turn send keyboard key presses to the game. This is the most flexible option.

Does that mean I use a voice command in VA and trigger it to a button my wheel and also link it to a key press within the same command? when I said both games don't recognize button commands from my wheel. I meant they didn't trigger the commands I had linked to the buttons on my wheel but they did trigger separate commands I linked to a key press on the keyboard.

What I mean is that you'd create a command for each steering wheel button you want to be able to use with VoiceAttack, that command would then send a keypress to the game, which in turn is mapped to an action within the game.

Both applications are checking for pressed keyboard keys and buttons(at least if you have your steering wheel mapped as one of the two joysticks in VoiceAttack), so if you've mapped the same key or button in both applications, both will respond to it(In theory, if you check the "Do not allow key to be passed through" option for a given keypress within VoiceAttack, the game shouldn't detect it, this is not possible for joystick buttons though).

JonnyLopez

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
Thanks for your help Pfeil,

I'm getting somewhere. I used VA to trigger a command from my wheel as well as a key press, as I think you were suggesting. In the game I have some commands assigned to my wheel only, like shift gear and steering.
The ones I want to activate with speech have to be a key press and they are working now. What I didn't realize was that the ones activated by key press, assigned within the game control settings still work with a button press on my wheel because I set it up like that in VA, as you were probably trying to explain to me.

Sorry for my lack of understanding but I get it now. I've seen a few videos on you tube which have helped.
Thanks for sticking with me and helping out.
Voice Attack is brilliant software at a brilliant price.